Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 11:13 PM

Default Can you populate playlists automatically?

Several people agree that playlists are a better/faster way to doing comping of multiple takes into a composite track with the best segments into one regio.

However, what about us new people, who have several takes (ie 20) that are in regions vox_1 to vox_20, and furthermore, its overdubbed onto the middle of a long, live session? (regions).

Is there a way to get this into playlists for comping?

Should I start by creating a new session with Just that one song inside it?

Do playlists ensure that switching takes stay lined up to the start point region (assuming that start point is identical in each take?)

If its not identical, then I am screwed?

thanks to all
Old 06-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Avid

Default Re: Can you populate playlists automatically?

Although I'm not sure if I totally understand your question...but I'll take a stab.

What you can do is use the "Duplicate" command within the Playlist menu. This will allow you to create an exact copy of the track...all regions intact and at the exact time locations. With a copy of the track(s), you can then manipulate the new playlists to your liking, without fear of altering the originals.

Brent
Old 06-11-2002, 09:05 AM

What he said...
Old 06-11-2002, 09:19 AM

create a new track next to the one you want, and name the playlist. Select the pieces you want and copy/paste them in the new track. When you are done, select the playlist in the other track and remove the temp-track....

Bastiaan
Old 06-11-2002, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Although I'm not sure if I totally understand your question...but I'll take a stab.

What you can do is use the "Duplicate" command within the Playlist menu. This will allow you to create an exact copy of the track...all regions intact and at the exact time locations. With a copy of the track(s), you can then manipulate the new playlists to your liking, without fear of altering the originals.
Brent
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">To clarify, I have NO playlists defined now, just a bunch of regions, in fact since I am a novice the regions don't even have the exact same starting point (I can easily fix that in the future by re-recording onto the same selection).

Does the Duplicate trick POPULATE THE playlists from the Regions list? If so, how does the right set of regions enter the playlist?. The user guide is not clear on the interplay between regions and playlists, for solving this problem.

Why Not upgrade the software to take a set of regions, optionally force a starting point, and populate named playlists for Comping? Seems like that would be common, fast solution. I would call that Automated Playlists for Comping.....

thanks. KC.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:10 PM

I think it's the 'populate' thing that is hanging us up. Bastiaan pretty much views it the same way I do; to expand on that, you'll have to create a new playlist and drag your regions (takes) out to the new playlist to create what you didn't do before by just recording straight onto the playlist.

I think I understand the concept, and it may be a function that TDM does (I don't know)...
I do know TDM will allow you to pick a region in the regions list and automatically replace a chosen region in the playlist, something I would really like LE to do.

Right now, manually placing the region is how you'll have to go-