Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-14-2022, 08:25 AM

Default Drum Programs and Effects

Is anyone aware of a drum program that will allow the user to utilize UAD or RTAS plug-ins in the drum program mixer in order to bypass or avoid using the drum program’s effects? Reverbs compressions delays EQ’s etc
Old 05-14-2022, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Drum Programs and Effects

Not that I know of, but what exactly are you trying to do? There are lots of great independent plugin hosting programs aka “VST hosts” that will run VST or AU plugins. Stick that together with a drum software, or more typically you would just run the VI in that host along with other plugins. If they run VST or AU plugins then hopefully it would work with VST or AU UAD plugins.

Or just run this all in a DAW.

Avid has never licensed its plugin technology for third party hosts software AFAIK and I doubt any of them would want to do so vs VST or UA. (I suspect many of the stand alone systems drum software might use VST plugins along with VST versions of the actual VI even if not intended for users to add others). And RTAS is dead and buried technology, not the least because it’s 32-bit only.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-14-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:24 AM

Things to consider:
1-RTAS is pretty much dead, so don't expect that to work at all.
2-As the others have said, I am also not aware of any drum VI that can host other plugins(but its a cool idea).
3-most all of the drum VI's are capable of splitting out each drum sound to its own track(which is what you should do). You can send each sound to AUDIO tracks and print, or you can send each sound to AUX tracks. Either way allows you to treat the drums with your favorite plugins. I usually print to AUDIO tracks and then mix the same as I would for a real kit, with a few twists as follows:
A-I adjust the bleed for less snare in the overhead tracks
B-I skip the ambience and room mics and use my own effects
Doing this allows me to create drum mixes that sound great(to me) and I avoid having my drums sound like the thousands of other users of the same drum VI

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-16-2022, 02:41 PM

Thx to all, Yes the point was to process Superior or Addictive drums using their mixers and avoid “Multi Outing” each drum to a separate track in PT and then processing those tracks with my “strong plugins”. I understand it would not take that much longer but SD and AD drums already have mixer with processors. Be nice to just use them. I am paying those processors already.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:42 AM

If it were me I'd probably route the multi-output to audio tracks and print them, to keep things simple. You could save ready made tracks for this to quickly import.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgroovy View Post
Thx to all, Yes the point was to process Superior or Addictive drums using their mixers and avoid “Multi Outing” each drum to a separate track in PT and then processing those tracks with my “strong plugins”. I understand it would not take that much longer but SD and AD drums already have mixer with processors. Be nice to just use them. I am paying those processors already.
The processors in SD3 aren't all that great. If you have other plugins that you like - use them. SD3 can't host external plugins. Go multi-out and process like you would a real drumkit - been doing it that way when I ran BFD3 as it makes sense.

QAPLA!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:01 PM

Evil Drums powered by Accent -- Accent can host VST, VST3 and AU plugins.

http://www.platinumsamples.com/accent/evildrums.php

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-22-2022, 05:32 AM

I have issues running Evil Drums by Accent on new M1 Mac. Has anyone had success running this plugin with M1 Macs (64 bit). If no are there any plans to make it work? I've tried with Ableton Live 11 and Steinberg Cubase 12 Pro.