Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-04-2020, 07:15 AM

Default Best Atmos Panning System

Just looking for a better panning environment than the plug in GUI. I mix on a S6 and don't like the S6 MTM Touch Screen. I would consider a hardware controller like the JL Cooper, V-control, anything. What are you using?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-04-2020, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Best Atmos Panning System

Have you tried moving your pan parameters to the faders on the S6? This grew on me after some time.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:36 AM

Try Avid Control? I assign a fader to height, but you can also switch to sliders and put your thumb on height.
Old 11-04-2020, 12:38 PM

I still have and love the JLCooper surround panner for D-Command ES. I can't figure out how to adjust the height parameter, but everything else is there. I much prefer a physical item to touch for panning and I find the delay is better than trying it with Avid Control.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-04-2020, 01:26 PM

I'm guessing you don't have room in your S6 frame for the S6 joystick module, or don't want to spend $6600 😲.

I've been using the JL Cooper Axos panner. The Axos is useable, but not great. Build quality is OK, but it doesn't seem as well built or as precise as the older D-Command panner, but it's half the price that the D-Command panner was new, and it's USB, not MIDI. It's the only panner joystick in that price range that I know of.

I can't recall if I was able to use any of the knobs for the height parameter as it's been 6 months since I've been in the studio. I vaguely recall that I was able to adjust the height parameter with one of the knobs with the old Dolby local renderer panner plugin, but not with the Pro Tools panner, or vice versa, can't remember.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:46 AM

Hi Scott,

According to the JL Cooper website: https://jlcooper.com/_php/product.php?prod=axos
The Axos is supporting "Dolby ATMOS Tools 1.6"
I know quite some Dolby Atmos terminology, but this is a new one to me..
Do you perhaps have any idea?

It would be working fairly well if a knob on the Axos can be used to adjust height in the Protools panner.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I'm guessing you don't have room in your S6 frame for the S6 joystick module, or don't want to spend $6600 😲.

I've been using the JL Cooper Axos panner. The Axos is useable, but not great. Build quality is OK, but it doesn't seem as well built or as precise as the older D-Command panner, but it's half the price that the D-Command panner was new, and it's USB, not MIDI. It's the only panner joystick in that price range that I know of.

I can't recall if I was able to use any of the knobs for the height parameter as it's been 6 months since I've been in the studio. I vaguely recall that I was able to adjust the height parameter with one of the knobs with the old Dolby local renderer panner plugin, but not with the Pro Tools panner, or vice versa, can't remember.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuS View Post
Hi Scott,

According to the JL Cooper website: https://jlcooper.com/_php/product.php?prod=axos
The Axos is supporting "Dolby ATMOS Tools 1.6"
I know quite some Dolby Atmos terminology, but this is a new one to me..
Do you perhaps have any idea?

It would be working fairly well if a knob on the Axos can be used to adjust height in the Protools panner.

Thank you!
I believe (and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Dolby Atmos Tools package were the Panner and Send & Return plugins that worked with the old Local Renderer, before DAPS existed. My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think the Axos worked to control the height parameter when using Dolby's panner plugin from that package, but doesn't work when using Pro Tool's built-in Atmos panner.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinato View Post
Have you tried moving your pan parameters to the faders on the S6? This grew on me after some time.
Too clunky, not working well. I think it works better with the dolby planner but in on windows and would rather use the native pro tools planner
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-10-2020, 11:16 AM

It's crazy to me that they don't make a standalone Eucon surround panner. I still use the old Digi surround panner and I would happily buy an updated version of it. Panning on a touchscreen is awful, in my opinion.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
It's crazy to me that they don't make a standalone Eucon surround panner. I still use the old Digi surround panner and I would happily buy an updated version of it. Panning on a touchscreen is awful, in my opinion.
I know. Especially on the MTM. Laggy and non responsive.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme