How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Pro Tools 12 and RME TotalMix - using hardware inserts send/return

Hi,

I'm using PT12 on a mac. I just switched over from using an 002 to an RME fireface 800 (and TotalMix), and I'm fairly confused. I understand the basic concept of the input, output, and software matrix - but I really don't get how to properly integrate the two systems and what a proper workflow should look like when using TotalMix together with PT12.

It seems like everything that used to require a single step in PT now requires me to switch back and forth between PT and TotalMix multiple times and changes in both systems. Even soloing or muting a track sometimes trips me up.

The RME manual is a bit abstract with details - and the tutorials on YouTube all focus on TotalMix in isolation - independent of the DAW.

Can someone please share their workflow with me so that I can learn to be more efficient when using both systems.

This is obviously a very broad question - but my most annoying point of failure is with connecting external outboard (via insert in PT) for mixing. In PT12 alone on my 002, I would just add the output on an insert channel, and tweak as needed. Very easy. If I wanted to print, I would just output it to another channel and record.

With TotalMix, I just can't seem to do this simple task without having to make multiple changes in both systems. And even then, it's a crap shoot whether I do it right or whether I can get the system back to the initial state after So - it would be great if someone could run me through the steps necessary to do this most efficiently (and/or just to make it work).

I have googles this - but everything I find online is targeted to Logic users... and the question is often a bit different.

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 and RME TotalMix - using hardware inserts send/return

I too switched from a 002 to a FF800 and I had a hard time wrapping my head around this too at 1st.
There is a pretty steep learning curve but give it time and you figure it out!
Some times I still get confused!

So it helps me to think of Total Mix as I would a monitor mixer on stage used for wedges/IEMs (head phone mixes 1-4 & control room as side fills) that have low latency for tracking.

PT’s mixer is recording straight to tape or in this case your DAW
And later then used for mixing after tracking is finished.

I only monitor in total mix when I am tracking.
After I am done tracking I switch playback engine to the PT aggregate I/O to mix.

Not sure if this is the “correct way” but it works for me.

The bottom row represents your hardware outputs
hardware inputs can be routed to multipe outputs
Software outputs can be routed to multiple outputs
I always find it most easy to work bottom up, so select the hardwar output you want signal on and add the hardware input or software output signal that you would like to hear.
Look at the hardware outputs as direct outs, they don't sum into the main out, the main out is just another hardware out, but with some control room options.

Do you understand the loop back function?

Loopback. Sends the output data to the driver as record data. The cor- responding submix can be recorded then. This channel’s hardware input sends its data only to TotalMix, no longer to the recording software.

Another difference to the input and playback channels is the Cue button instead of Solo. A click on Cue sends the respective Hardware Output’s audio to the Main Out, or any of the Phones outputs (option Assign / Cue to in the Control Room section). With this any hardware output can be controlled and listened to through the monitoring output very conveniently.

For a better understanding of the TotalMix mixer you should know the following:
􏰁 As shown in the block diagram , the record signal usually stays un-altered. To- talMix does not reside within the record path, and does not change the record level or the audio data to be recorded (exception: loopback mode).

􏰁 The hardware input signal can be passed on as often as desired, even with different levels. This is a big difference to conventional mixing desks, where the channel fader always con- trols the level for all routing destinations simultaneously.

􏰁 The level meter of inputs and playback channels are connected pre-fader, to be able to visually monitor where a signal is currently present. The level meters of the hardware’s out- puts are connected post-fader, thus displaying the actual output level.

Not sure if this info helps or is more confusing.

I suggest you watch these New Tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … nSXF_f8UB6

Hope this helps in some way!
Maybe someone thats been using RME & Total mix for years can help us both understand better.
You can aslo ask at the RME forum
Good luck
TWM

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.6 PT 2018.4 its mostly working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:05 AM

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up.

I can use TotalMix to create submixes for headphones OK. So - I think I understand the basic principles of the three levels.

What I don't get is that if TotalMix does not reside in the audio path, then why can't I add a hardware insert and just monitor everything through my main outputs (like in Pro Tools)?

How would you add a mono external input while still using TotalMix? It doesn't seem that I should need to use loopback, but maybe I'm wrong on this. I need some efficient routine that doesn't involve six confusing steps.

I've tried using the PT aggregate (that seems like a good idea), but it always freezes up my system. The 002 driver and the RME driver are much more stable (and the RME one is especially stable and never encounters any difficulty with processing power).

I'm so frustrated - I should just go back to a BLA modded 002 for mixing. (though I appreciate the RME zero latency for tracking).

best DT
Old 04-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Also - the PT aggregate only seems to offer two inputs/outputs. Is there a way to change that? I need to access more in/outs to mix.

-DT
Old 04-18-2016, 01:29 AM

I got an answer on the RME forum.

Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback will set everything to function within PT.

The strange thing is, I had actually tried this earlier. But even after trashing preferences and resetting my I/Os it still wasn't working. However, after doing this multiple times, it suddenly worked. Bizarre. There must be some step I was missing, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. Maybe a default I/O reset wasn't saving for some reason and the mapping was somehow wrong.

Anyways, it works now - I hope this helps the next person with this issue.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT11 View Post
I got an answer on the RME forum.

Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback will set everything to function within PT.

The strange thing is, I had actually tried this earlier. But even after trashing preferences and resetting my I/Os it still wasn't working. However, after doing this multiple times, it suddenly worked. Bizarre. There must be some step I was missing, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it was. Maybe a default I/O reset wasn't saving for some reason and the mapping was somehow wrong.

Anyways, it works now - I hope this helps the next person with this issue.
Can you be so kinds and give me a quick rundown as to ow exactly do this please?i just got me a Fireface UFX and I'm so frustrated cant get hardware inserts to work with protools.. thanks in advanced