Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-20-2004, 08:35 PM

Default Intermittent digital clipping on armed tracks

I've searched the DUC for this one, and found no previous answer to this issue, so I am posting this for some assistance:

I am running PT 6 (the version of PT6 right before 6.4 came out) on a Digi 002 Rack with OctoPre, which is running on a G5 Dual 2Ghz w/OSX 10.3.2

I imported some audio tracks from CDs I'm well acquainted with to see how my room sounds, etc. This worked fine. When I decided to arm some tracks via the OctoPre to test out our drum kit, I started getting what I would call "intermittent digital clipping." I would sit in dead silence, watch a track that is armed for recording, and watch as the input meter would clip in the snap of a finger, then go away for 15-20 seconds before doing it again.

I have used the Digi 002 Rack and OctoPre with no problem when I was running in earlier versions of OSX, PT6 on a powerbook.

The best way for me to describe this -- if I'm remembering my old Mbox woes correctly -- is it is the same clipping sound the Mbox would make if you ran a session for more than half an hour (in Mbox's infancy of early 2002). There was a patch for that, but nothing for what I'm experiencing right now with my current setup.

I have trashed DAE, OSX, and PT preferences, repaired disk permissions...I just don't know what to do to bring silence back into my recording realm.

-Marco B.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Intermittent digital clipping on armed tracks

Check the sample rates on the 002 and the octopre. They may have changed somehow. Clocking sounds for sure.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:51 AM

I remember reading that someone cured a problem similar to this by hooking the Digi002 up to a different FW port on the computer. Worth a shot...
Old 05-21-2004, 01:16 PM

Thank you both for your posts...as far as your specific reply about clocking, I changed the clock setting from "internal" to "ADAT" which *seems* to have rectified the issue. I say "seems" because I just walked in here to type this from the control room where I was trying this out.

I made sure the bit and khz settings matched from the session to what it reads on the OctoPre, to trying different firewire ports, to unplugging the lightpipe connection and reconnecting it. None of that worked, and it appears the clock setting from "internal" to "ADAT" might be it.

I just haven't had much experience here with using the OctoPre, so I feel a little lacking in knowledge in regards to it to say the least.

So, thank you for your assistance...I will post again if there are more issues.

-Marco B.