Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Default Where can I find a signal generator in Pro Tools

I am a student that is new to Pro Tools and I'm trying to create pink noise to calibrate my speakers. I was following a tutorial on YouTube and the guy said most DAWs have a signal generator. I saw my professor do it in Logic Pro but I'm not a mac user.

Where can I find a signal generator in Pro Tools. Do I need to purchase a plugin? I prefer not to at this stage.

Please help

Deshawn
Old 10-04-2018, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Where can I find a signal generator in Pro Tools

Top menu, Audiosuite, Other. You have to create an empty audio track, select a section and hit render in the plugin.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:00 PM

it can also run as a aax plugin, you don't have to render it.
make sure to look for it in the (multi) mono plugins though, I seem to recall it doesn't show up at the stereo plugs
Old 10-04-2018, 07:08 PM

For system tuning, I would instantiate the plugin on a mono AUX track(with the fader pulled all the way down at first). If you sort plugins by category, the Signal Generator will be in the OTHER category.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordizbon View Post
I am a student that is new to Pro Tools and I'm trying to create pink noise to calibrate my speakers. I was following a tutorial on YouTube and the guy said most DAWs have a signal generator. I saw my professor do it in Logic Pro but I'm not a mac user.

Where can I find a signal generator in Pro Tools. Do I need to purchase a plugin? I prefer not to at this stage.

Please help

Deshawn
Just put the stock Signal Generator plug-in on an Aux track.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:21 PM

I'm sure your professor didn't cover this in detail, but make sure you are set to RMS and not peak for signal generation.

With pink noise, there is something called crest factor and it can vary wildly. Too much variation to do calibration by it (if actually considering it) so using generator plugins in Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, etc. you have an unknown. There are lots of papers written about this. You can also grab well-known pink noise files (and keep the fader at 0 dBFs) and avoid some of these issues by looping it. Blue Sky has provided some good ones:
http://abluesky.com/wp-content/uploa...yTestFiles.zip

and some instructions on using them depending on your speaker playback system's capabilities:
http://abluesky.com/support/blue-sky...on-test-files/

There are also comparison charts on pink noise on the web from different generators. The base (or at least most standard) pink noise is the one generated by Dolby however the Blue Sky files are very close to them.

(Also, whatever you do, do a mono track to a mono speaker otherwise you are dealing with the pan law too which is changing the output level. Do not send out stereo and then mute one speaker -- there will be a difference in level between that and the original file/signal generator)
Old 10-05-2018, 08:29 AM

Not related but similar, I’d like to analyze single tracks or the mix by visual frequency spectrum I have standard vanilla issue of ProTools , any ideas, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hudson View Post
Not related but similar, I’d like to analyze single tracks or the mix by visual frequency spectrum I have standard vanilla issue of ProTools , any ideas, thanks

It's not stock but I always have the Waves PAZ analyzer on my mix bus. Visuals are always helpful to confirm what you're hearing (or not).
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Thank you, I looked in the mix channel thinking if anywhere it should be there but am not familiar with using that yet? I also use Reason 10 and it has one in the standard issue , thanks again

Old 10-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Thanks