Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2001, 08:58 PM

Default "Cannot allocate Disk Space"

I did a low level format of a drive, now when I try to record in a session I get this error.

It's a Seagate Cheetah 10k rpm SCSI drive in a hot swap bay. I have 4 of them and only one is giving me this problem.

WHen I record 30 or 1 tracks it gives the error, yet if I start the recording a few seconds into the session, it works fine. THe drive has 18 gigs of free space so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Any advice is appreciated, I will post additional system info if needed. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2001, 05:58 AM
Avid

Default Re: "Cannot allocate Disk Space"

-Open the Setups>Preferences>Operations window and try lowering the “Open Ended Record Allocation” to 10-20mins.

Brent
Old 08-10-2001, 07:52 AM

I had a similar problem in Quickpunch recording drum/live sessions until the open ended disk allocation was reduced to a smaller number of minutes. It looks like the system looks ahead & multiplies time by track count for the disk space it figures it needs, and if it comes up short will refuse to record, or in some cases throws you out of record. In some situations the disk space indicator will actually toggle between values as you go in and out of record mode! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

mixing coach
Old 08-10-2001, 08:53 AM

BEfore I could test reducing the record allocation (though the shortest length would be at least 60 minutes fo me) the problem went away. Hoever beforehand I was unable to get ATTO to see the drive volume. I had to reinstall the drivers and then mount it. I think the drive may be going south. Thanks for the help guys!