Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Default PC Hardware upgrade question

So, I'm thinking about upgrading my PC hardware. And I just wanna know if Pro Tools 10 will still work with the following specs. I already have Mbox 3.

Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-mATX (s1155)
Processor: Intel Core i5 3330 (quad core)
Ram: Adata 8 Gigs
CPU cooler: Be quiet! rock pro c1
PSU: Be quiet! System Power (80+) 700Watt
GPU: GTX 650

And I'll be keeping my old Sata and SSD hard drives and the case (Fractal Design Define mini).

Note, this PC upgrade is based on my budget, so before recommending something better, please tell me if these above specs will handle Pro Tools efficiently. Cause a friend told me that mATX isn't meant for "high end" usage and 700w is way too much. Need your opinion!

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Default Re: PC Hardware upgrade question

Sorry I don't offer much enthusiasm here. While I have no issue with a 700 watt PSU(better a bit too much, than a bit too little), I can't recommend the rest of it. Please take this as 1 users opinion only, but there are only 2 systems I would build today. Best would be a Sandybridge i7-socket2011(quad, or 6 core if I could afford it) on an X79 mobo with 16GB(4x4) quad-channel RAM(32GB if I could afford it). This is the king of the hill for Pro Tools AFAIK. My budget build would be "older" parts with a socket 1366 i7(950 and up) an X58 motherboard with 12GB(3x4) triple-channel RAM. These 2 platforms have proven to be solid for Pro Tools. Any other setup is hit&miss. The only way I would roll with the parts you listed is; if someone replies and tells you they ARE running that very combination and it works great Having said that, I also would not be building a "micro" package for a few reasons(most importantly, heat/room for fans, and drives(I run at least 3 internal drives on my machines). Maybe if you toss us the actual budget limit, someone can zero in on a better parts kit? And remember, cutting corners will likely mean a shorter working life(you will outgrow it faster). Better to spend $250 per year on a 5 year machine($1250 for a machine you get 5 years out of), than $250 per year on a 3 year machine($750 machine you outgrow in 3 years) Just one opinion, and I certainly understand if budget is tight

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM

What Albee said...I followed the advice here and I'm in the final migration stages to an Asus x79 Sabertooth mobo/intel i7 3930k Sandy Bridge CPU/Corsair 16GB quad channel ram/Win7 rig. Except for an "out of practice" black hole I fell into the build went pretty easy...there will be some undocumented issues that will come up depending on whether you run with an Asus or GB mono. Installed PT10.3.3, popped my Uad cards in...got my virtual drum soft in, almost done with other plugs and my test sessions open just fine. Ready to bang on it going forward this week. This Forum is full of great intel and there is NO reason not to listen and follow. I'll be posting my exact build when I get a minute, but the basics are as I stated. No need to be on the "ragged edge" all by yourself when you really want to get audio work done without hassles. The Win7 environment is fussy enough without hardware fighting you.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 AM

Thank you guys! I guess i'll save up some more and I'll be going for ASUS Sabertooth X79 and Intel Core i7-3820 and maybe a new case like COOLERMASTER SILENCIO 550

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM

I don't get the "2011 is better" thing since the release of Ivy Bridge cpus, unless you spend 600 dollars on a cpu like the 3930k tonepad has.

You can get a 3770k with a 1555 mobo for less than 400 euros (~550$). It's newer, less power consuming and has an integrated hd4000 gpu that it's enough for almost everyone working with audio.

With a 3820 the only advantage you'll get is the quad-channel ram. Maybe it's also a bit better for overclocking, but that's all.

So if intel hd4000 gpu is enough for you (and probably it is unless you also use the pc for gaming, 3d animation/rendering or u use more than 2 screens), you could save ¿100? euros by not buying a video card, an another 100 euros by getting the 1555 mobo instead of the 2011 one.
Using hd4000 gpu also means less heat and better airflow inside the case, and that's really important, specially if you decide you want to overclock the cpu in the future (you can save 50 extra euros with the 3770 non-k version and a bit more money in the mobo if you're sure you're not going to do overclocking).

As this setup is way less power consuming than the 3820 one, you could use a lower wattage psu (700w was way too much even for the 3820 imo, you have to look for efficienty).

You can see some benchmarks, comparations and info here:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/63698,65523
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
http://www.digitalversus.com/cpu/fac...sus-table.html
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=551

You'll find that the biggest difference between atx and uatx is the number of pci slots because of the smaller size of the uatx mobos. So you'll have to get an atx if you're going to use more than one or two pcie slots (maybe a dsp card, a pcie audio interface and a graphics card). Also having more space usually means better cooling, so imo atx is the way to go.

ofc this is just my opinion