Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2021, 08:11 AM

Default Re: DigiTest Failure

Thanks for all the details, I am pretty much at a loss.

Looks like the system is lying to you that it is working at all and you might as well leave hybrid off for troubleshooting and focus on trying to get the 6001 error to go away. But I have little confidence here, AAE 6001 errors seem a grab bag of all sorts of driver/hardware related issues. With little else left to try I would maybe try a new TDM card interconnect cable and even measuring power supply cable voltages on/at the cards. Did Digitest see both cards?

What you have really needed here is escalation of your case with Avid support, post your ticket number here and hopefully Janne or another mod can escalate that with support. I hope there is an explanation for the awfully slow response here. And the dealer you purchased through should be able to help get stuff escalated for you as well.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:28 AM

Case Number: 04279145 [Still in Queue]

I've been at a loss for a while now with this as well! That's why I've turned to this board in the hopes of getting someone with experience to help.

When I have both cards inserted in the machine, DigiTest recognizes both. I did this last night with a brand new interconnect cable and brand new power cables. The first card passes, the second card failed a SINGLE test (the one I posted in the original post).

I literally took the plastic off both a power cable and TDM cable. I was previously using an Apple Power adapter cable connected to an HDX adapter cable. I switched that to a brand new (out of the plastic) AVID HDX power cable that slots into a different power port [natively] on the motherboard (under slots 5-6) instead of the double-wide (slots 3-4). I was using a short 6" SATA cable to connect the two cards and got a brand new TDM interconnect cable (since it'll fit in the single-wide slots).

Even with JUST the HDX card that passed the DigitTest the behavior is still the same.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:34 AM

Escalated.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonantRhythm View Post
Case Number: 04279145 [Still in Queue]

I've been at a loss for a while now with this as well! That's why I've turned to this board in the hopes of getting someone with experience to help.

When I have both cards inserted in the machine, DigiTest recognizes both. I did this last night with a brand new interconnect cable and brand new power cables. The first card passes, the second card failed a SINGLE test (the one I posted in the original post).

I literally took the plastic off both a power cable and TDM cable. I was previously using an Apple Power adapter cable connected to an HDX adapter cable. I switched that to a brand new (out of the plastic) AVID HDX power cable that slots into a different power port [natively] on the motherboard (under slots 5-6) instead of the double-wide (slots 3-4). I was using a short 6" SATA cable to connect the two cards and got a brand new TDM interconnect cable (since it'll fit in the single-wide slots).

Even with JUST the HDX card that passed the DigitTest the behavior is still the same.
Thanks for the extra info, great stuff, we just cannot guess what you have done. We seem to be going around in circles a bit... if there was no interface connected you will see loop fails, that's expected. And I (mis?)understood you saying you could get the system to work as HD1 with the new card. But now you are saying even with the single original HDX card you now get 6001 errors? If so what changed for that config? software updated? If so I would be thinking about spinning up a new clean macOS install on a partition and doing a minimal driver/Pro Tools install...and just try to get the original HDX1 to work again, but really you need support to step up here, days ago, so thanks Janne for escalating.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-03-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:26 AM

To be crystal clear:

HDX 1 or 2
2021.7 or 2021.10
Clean install or upgrade

Any possible combination you can think of...does NOT work.

I am in the process of finding a Thumb-drive to down-grade back to a clean install of Catalina.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:42 AM

Modern macs esp. with APFS and containers make it easy to spin up a new install on your boot drive as long as you have minimal space. No need to destroy the current install and no need to find a thumb drive to make an installer.

Instead create a new volume/container on the boot drive. Download the installer to your current boot drive and run it there, be careful to select new install not update and point it at the new boot volume when asked. Probably grossly over simplifying but there are instructions you can find online. And does assume you have enough free space on the drive for a minimal install to test (if that works later you can remove the other and let the container expand).
Old 11-06-2021, 06:53 AM

There will be need for you to do a lot of research here. Have a 7.1 on Big Sur HDX3, 2021.10 took 18 hrs to get everything up and loaded works smoothly. First check Avid site for card slots, card is not x16 so can run in lesser slot. Will also show power cable connect, and make sure cable between cards is tightened. Remove all drivers, PT and preferences off your system. Load Big Sur and then the new driver, restart, then 2021.10 . Connect your interface make sure if you have different drivers on that, they are up to date. Run digi test with interface connected. You may find during this that digi test may upgrade your firmware on your HDX cards at some point, it did all three of my cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk