Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Authorize Plug-In Question / How to install Xpand! ???

Hey guys I have a quick question someone can hopefully help me answer. I just recently purchased the MBOX 2 MINI. I purchased an iLok as well, my question is how can I authorize a plug-in? When I insert the Pro Tools LE cd there is a folder named PAID SOFTWARE. Inside there is a plug-in folder > Bomb Factory folder is inside of that with a whole bunch of .pkg files such as Fairchild Bundle, Bomb Factory, etc. I install these and I get a pop up when I start Pro Tools asking me to Authorize each one. How can I do this?

I also would like to know how to use the virtual instruments, I don't think I have any installed. How do you go about to do that?

What is Xpand! - this is on the Pro Tools LE cd as well....I see soft pads, bright pads, etc in this folder. How do you install this?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Authorize Plug-In Question / How to install Xpand! ???

Quote:
Hey guys I have a quick question someone can hopefully help me answer. I just recently purchased the MBOX 2 MINI. I purchased an iLok as well, my question is how can I authorize a plug-in? When I insert the Pro Tools LE cd there is a folder named PAID SOFTWARE. Inside there is a plug-in folder > Bomb Factory folder is inside of that with a whole bunch of .pkg files such as Fairchild Bundle, Bomb Factory, etc. I install these and I get a pop up when I start Pro Tools asking me to Authorize each one. How can I do this?
The Pro Tools LE application, DigiRack plug-ins, and Ignition Pack software do not require an iLok, only the purchase of optional software or plug-ins not included with the Mbox 2 Mini. Xpand! also does not require authorization.

In the Support section on the right side you'll find the Support FAQ:
http://www.digidesign.com/support/faq

In the Customer Service Administration (CSA) FAQ, click on "Every time I launch Pro Tools, I get "This version of (plug-in name) requires authorization for you to use it." How can I get rid of these messages, and what plug-ins are included with my system?"

For help with Xpand, you can find the manual in the Xpand FAQ on the Support FAQ page, then click on Tech Docs in the Xpand section.

If you go to the Pro Tools Accelerated Videos:
http://www.digidesign.com/acceleratedvideos

The series of instructional videos at the bottom of the page titled "Music Creation Template" uses Xpand, and will show you how to add it to a session.

Xpand! is also used in part 8 of the first series of videos:
Learn the Art of Remixing with New Pro Tools Accelerated Videos
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...8&itemid=26009
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:

I also would like to know how to use the virtual instruments, I don't think I have any installed. How do you go about to do that?

What is Xpand! - this is on the Pro Tools LE cd as well....I see soft pads, bright pads, etc in this folder. How do you install this?

Okay dude, I actually spent 3 months trying to figure this one out as well, before somebody helped me out.... I have the same rig.

This is what's going on:

1. More than half of the plugins that you installed or installed by themselves are really (NOT) for your Mini. They ask for authorizations because the plugins think you already paid for them when they begin to start up.

Here's the deal: ProTools gives you these plugins on your install discs because they are all pretty much universal install discs for every ProTools system IE: Digi 002, MBox 2 Pro, Digi 003 etc...

These systems come with an iLok that has the plugins already authorized and ready for use.

The MBox Mini does not come with an iLok pre-loaded and ready to go.

DigiDesign has these plugins on your discs to install and maybe "tryout and demo" or to go ahead and pay to use them. They are being thoughtful to think that you might like them and buy them

2. Here's what I did to remedy the problem:

I had my ProTools Applications folder open, opened up the PlugIn Aliases' folder and started up ProTools. After each plugin started to load and stop where they want you to Authorize, I would go into the Plugin Alias folder, look for that plugin name and delete each one as it loaded and stopped. This helped to control all of the load problems with the plugins I didn't pay for/ own.

3. Now as for authorizing plugins, you need to install the PACE iLok software extensions from iLOK.com and sign up for an iLok account. They will set you up with that for free and to actually authorize plugins, you need to go to the plugin author's website beit: digidesign, ableton, propellerhead software etc... and register your plugin that you want to pay for from them. The author's site will then send you and authorization code that you register on your plugin as it loads up (some plugins don't need an iLok which is very cool) or you need to register it to your iLok account. (yeah it's a headache)

But that's how that works.

4. As for XPAND! you just install it like a normal piece of software and launch it as an RTAS Audio Suite plugin. It doesn't need to be authorized or anything like that. XPAND! is a softsynth program to let you make all kinds of cool sounds and virtual instruments with effects for creating music, adding ambience, get creative.

To actually use XPAND! you need a MIDI Keyboard or some type of MIDI hardware softsynth instrument IE: M-Audio Trigger Finger, M-Audio Keystation 49e ETC.... Then you basically set up your XPAND! in the preferences to see your MIDI hardware device and you can program what sounds you want your keyboard/ triggers/ pads to use.

Okay................ I'm tired

Hope this helps bro.

People on here will try to help you out in every way, shape and form. We are all here for each other

Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:

Okay dude, I actually spent 3 months trying to figure this one out as well, before somebody helped me out.... I have the same rig.

This is what's going on:

1. More than half of the plugins that you installed or installed by themselves are really (NOT) for your Mini. They ask for authorizations because the plugins think you already paid for them when they begin to start up.

Here's the deal: ProTools gives you these plugins on your install discs because they are all pretty much universal install discs for every ProTools system IE: Digi 002, MBox 2 Pro, Digi 003 etc...

These systems come with an iLok that has the plugins already authorized and ready for use.

The MBox Mini does not come with an iLok pre-loaded and ready to go.

DigiDesign has these plugins on your discs to install and maybe "tryout and demo" or to go ahead and pay to use them. They are being thoughtful to think that you might like them and buy them

2. Here's what I did to remedy the problem:

I had my ProTools Applications folder open, opened up the PlugIn Aliases' folder and started up ProTools. After each plugin started to load and stop where they want you to Authorize, I would go into the Plugin Alias folder, look for that plugin name and delete each one as it loaded and stopped. This helped to control all of the load problems with the plugins I didn't pay for/ own.

3. Now as for authorizing plugins, you need to install the PACE iLok software extensions from iLOK.com and sign up for an iLok account. They will set you up with that for free and to actually authorize plugins, you need to go to the plugin author's website beit: digidesign, ableton, propellerhead software etc... and register your plugin that you want to pay for from them. The author's site will then send you and authorization code that you register on your plugin as it loads up (some plugins don't need an iLok which is very cool) or you need to register it to your iLok account. (yeah it's a headache)

But that's how that works.

4. As for XPAND! you just install it like a normal piece of software and launch it as a multi-channel instrument plugin on a Stereo Audio Instrument Track. It doesn't need to be authorized or anything like that. XPAND! is a softsynth program to let you make all kinds of cool sounds and virtual instruments with effects for creating music, adding ambience, get creative.

To actually use XPAND! you need a MIDI Keyboard or some type of MIDI hardware softsynth instrument IE: M-Audio Trigger Finger, M-Audio Keystation 49e ETC.... Then you basically set up your XPAND! preferences to see your MIDI hardware device and you can program what sounds you want your keyboard/ triggers/ pads to use.

Okay................ I'm tired

Hope this helps bro.

People on here will try to help you out in every way, shape and form. We are all here for each other.

6GB RAM
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 PM

sorry for the double post!!!!
6GB RAM
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Old 08-23-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm new to Pro Tools and have a quick question...Does xpand require a midi keyboard to operate or can i simply plug my guitar into the mbox and it will change the guitar tone?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:58 AM

Xpand is not really designed as an fx. It's forte is really sample playback as a virtual instrument. If it's tone shaping for Guitar, try the Amplitube plug on a aux with the input set to Mbox 1 or 2 (whichever your Guitar is plugged into).

As for operating Xpand, you can program Midi without a keyboard. Just load it on an Instrument track and enter midi notes manually. As with all things new, experiment asnd you'll soon sus it out.