Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM

Default Work flow in Pro Tools

Hi,

I am a new Protools user. I used creamware tripple dat a few years back and have not done much audio editing ever since.

I am a classical musician and generally work in a non MIDI environment

I would like to know any suggestions regarding workflow for selection of takes, preliminary arranging of takes and cutting.

One of the questions is whether it is a good idea to work with one mastertake and insert corrections into it, or whether I should assemble the final product in sequential order by creating single regions from the sound material available?

Can someone recommend any tutorials on the web to find answers to those questions?

Thank you

Berthold Hamburger
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Work flow in Pro Tools

Hi Berthold,

Hopefully someone will suggest some online tutorials, but here's my two cents on your question.

Depending on your gear / studio space / level of your musicians, it can be a good idea to record a solid, fluid take and edit as necessary, especially if the songs have a strong rhythmic foundation. You can then overdub solo and melodic instruments over it.

As general advice, making sure your tracks have clear names is key, and keeping note on paper of what takes were acceptable is important, especially if you are using loop record. Pro Tools sequentially numbers takes on loop record so it's straightforward to know the name of a region while it's being recorded.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Work flow in Pro Tools

Have a look at :

http://www.howaudio.com Lots of great video tutorials were they explain in detail How to do What....
There is an PT LE essential video-tut which is absolutely superb in my view....

Dutchmountain