Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2012, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Waves V9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
You don't need to use any kind of dongle to authorize Version 9 if you don't want to. You can simply authorize your hard drive. If you need to work elsewhere you simply put your auth's back onto the cloud and download them to the hard drive that is on the remote system that you are working on. There is no danger of ever losing your auth's and that is, IMHO, way better than being a prisoner of iLok where there is no consideration for lost auth's whatsoever.
except if your workstation has no connection to the net, which happens often.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM

My work computer has been connected to the net 24/7 for approx 13 years. Never had an issue. In fact, I can't imagine working without it being connected. How does anyone put up with that???? crazy.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
You don't need to use any kind of dongle to authorize Version 9 if you don't want to. You can simply authorize your hard drive. If you need to work elsewhere you simply put your auth's back onto the cloud and download them to the hard drive that is on the remote system that you are working on. There is no danger of ever losing your auth's and that is, IMHO, way better than being a prisoner of iLok where there is no consideration for lost auth's whatsoever.
Believe me, that is far more complicated to do than unplug and plugin an ilok. SSL Duende has a similar system to authorize your hard disc and deauthorize back to the cloud when changing computer for example which I tend to do very often ...it is easy to forget...

Also now when iLok solved all old issues and started a new life with iLok2 , waves decides to jump off the wagon...a bad move with this "protection" system. Why just don´t give us a simple serial number instead, if they hate ilok so much ?

My vote goes for iLok2. I mean as a Pro Tools user we have learned to love them, so put ALL OF OUR PLUGS there , thank you.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Believe me, that is far more complicated to do than unplug and plugin an ilok. SSL Duende has a similar system to authorize your hard disc and deauthorize back to the cloud when changing computer for example which I tend to do very often ...it is easy to forget...

Also now when iLok solved all old issues and started a new life with iLok2 , waves decides to jump off the wagon...a bad move with this "protection" system. Why just don´t give us a simple serial number instead, if they hate ilok so much ?

My vote goes for iLok2. I mean as a Pro Tools user we have learned to love them, so put ALL OF OUR PLUGS there , thank you.

I agree.

I am still for the iLok if only because it's consistent. All my auths are there, and I don't have to think about re-authorizing any of the plugins on it. If I reformat my system drive, all I have to install is the iLok driver, instead of entering account information a couple dozen different times.

As much as I LOVE my Duende plugins... the auth system is a bit wonky. If you decide to reformat your system, you have to manually de-authorize BEFORE hand, or you end up having to jump some tech support hurdles just to be able to use your plugins. iLok negates any of that kind of thing.

The excuse that "iLok has been cracked" is getting tired. EVERY authorization system has and will continue to be cracked from now until the end of time. No system is infallible, it's only a matter of time before someone figures out a way around it.

The choice always remains with the consumer as to whether or not he wants to support the industry he pays his bills with.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-21-2012, 10:49 AM

For the first time in well over a decade I'm considering finding replacements for Waves. With all this extra hassle, plus no AAX DSP. Troubling.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM

You guys are totally overlooking the fact that the new Waves auth system makes it impossible to lose your licenses. Plain and simple; this is not the case with iLok.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
except if your workstation has no connection to the net, which happens often.
NO. Your system must be connected to the net in order to get access to the DUC and gearslutz, while you working.
No DUC/Gearslutz - no work

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
NO. Your system must be connected to the net in order to get access to the DUC and gearslutz, while you working.
No DUC/Gearslutz - no work
That's when the flash drive comes in. It'd work like the iLok then I suppose!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

Sorry, I thought He was talking about authorization. Ignore my previous post please.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
My work computer has been connected to the net 24/7 for approx 13 years. Never had an issue. In fact, I can't imagine working without it being connected. How does anyone put up with that???? crazy.
Windows machines. They get nailed all the time. We Mac users do not have that problem.....yet.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.