Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Midi Keyboard Live Situation - Help!

Hi,

I currently use a borrowed 67key midi/usb keyboard live and am looking to buy one. I use it with a couple of softsynths in standalone mode. My question is this: Say for instance in one song the keys are running through Massive and then in the next song they are running through Reason (or some other synth): - Is there a way to flip between programs without having to resort to using a mouse and closing/opening programs????? Can a midi keyboard be programmed to do this? Or could anyone suggest the best way to do this live? There are sounds specific to certain songs that could not be easily replicated by trying to do them all in one synth, if you get me.

Hopefully you can help. I realise this has nothing to do with Pro Tools but I'm an Mbox user and you've helped me with stuff before. Thanks

Steve
Old 10-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Midi Keyboard Live Situation - Help!

Opening and closing sessions will take way too much time. Better to put several track setups in a single session and create some groups so you can either mute what you don't need, or solo what you do need. Some softsynths operate without protools so you can treat them as a simple sound module and select programs from the keyboard by sending patch change messages.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Midi Keyboard Live Situation - Help!

yeah - I'm using them without protools....as standalone. I know how to make the keyboard send patch changes. Thats not my problem. I'm trying to work out how to flip from using a softsynth, say, Massive and then going to Reason for the next song: - I want to have my keys playing through Massive for some songs and through Reason for others (live). Is there anyway I can do this or does each softsynth need to be hooked up to a separate keyboard???

Thanks again

Steve