Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Command|8 Going Offline

Our Command|8 has randomly gone offline. Has anyone else had this happen? If so, have you resolved it?

System: MDD Dual 1.25GHz G4, 1.25GB RAM, OS X v10.3.4, PT v6.4.1cs3, Command|8 v02.01.02

Problem: Command|8 is randomly going offline.

Reproducible: Yes, but not with known steps.

Workaround: Quitting and relaunching Pro Tools restores the Command|8's status to online. This is a lame workaround, especially if your session is large.

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Command|8 Going Offline

Have you tried a different usb port? You could allways uninstall and reinstall the drivers. I'm guessing at this point.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 03-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Avid

Are there any other USB peripherals attached to your computer?

Do you have any other midi devices connected to the Command|8?

Do you have any other midi drivers installed on your computer (check in MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Drivers)? If so, try removing any unused drivers from that folder.

Have you tried using different midi cables?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:55 PM

Thank you for responding, DigiTechSupt!
Quote:
Are there any other USB peripherals attached to your computer?
Yes. There is, of course, the iLok. There is also a Keyspan USA-28x, a Kensington TurboMouse, and an APC Back-UPS RS1000.
Quote:
Do you have any other midi devices connected to the Command|8?
No, I do not.
Quote:
Do you have any other midi drivers installed on your computer (check in MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Drivers)? If so, try removing any unused drivers from that folder.
I will check and edit this post accordingly. It's possible that I do.
Quote:
Have you tried using different midi cables?
Would you mean a different USB cable? That's how I connected the Command|8 to the Macintosh. In the case of a different USB cable, the answer is no. If you do mean a different MIDI cable, could you please elaborate?

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Avid

Regarding the 'midi' cable - yes, I actually meant the USB cable. Is the USB cable of normal length (6' or shorter)?

Have you tried it without the UPS connected? Since there seems to be no other logical reason for this to be happening, I have a suspicion that possibly the UPS could be a factor. I might suspect the Keyspan as well, but not as much as the UPS. Could you test it with both those devices disconnected?

Did you find anything about any other midi drivers being installed?

One other possibility - did you move the Pro Tools application from it's original install location by chance? The application should be located in MacHD>Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools (the folder) along with the Controllers folder. If it was moved, that would definitely cause this problem.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:18 AM

I have had this problem as well. Usually for me just power cycling the C8 does the job, without even quitting PT. I have my MIDI interface on one port, and my C8, keyboard/mouse/ilok, and printer on the other, and it works fine, for the most part.

Mac OSX 10.3.7
Dual 1.41 Gig
1 Gig RAM
PT 6.7cs8
HD4
Old 03-26-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Regarding the 'midi' cable - yes, I actually meant the USB cable. Is the USB cable of normal length (6' or shorter)?
It's the stock cable that shipped with the Command|8, in which case I would hope the answer is yes!
Quote:
Have you tried it without the UPS connected?
No.
Quote:
Since there seems to be no other logical reason for this to be happening, I have a suspicion that possibly the UPS could be a factor. I might suspect the Keyspan as well, but not as much as the UPS. Could you test it with both those devices disconnected?
I can disconnect the UPS, but not the Keyspan! I won't have a usable MachineControl option otherwise!
Quote:
Did you find anything about any other midi drivers being installed?
Yes. I have a M-Audio USB Support.plugin file and a TerraPHASE2228MidiPlugin.plugin file.
Quote:
One other possibility - did you move the Pro Tools application from it's original install location by chance? The application should be located in MacHD>Applications>Digidesign>Pro Tools (the folder) along with the Controllers folder. If it was moved, that would definitely cause this problem.
No, the application has not been moved.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:16 AM

Yeah im getting it here as well. i have to reset the peripherals 3-4 time a week. a real vibe buster.
john
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 AM

Another observation: Im getting a Preference reset as well. Each time the Command8 comes offline all my custom prefs are lost as well.
No thats really NOT COOL.
John
Old 04-01-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Another observation: Im getting a Preference reset as well. Each time the Command8 comes offline all my custom prefs are lost as well.
Interesting. I haven't been using this problem system lately, so I don't know if that is happening here or not. I'll try to keep an eye on it.