Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Default Sad about loss of Pro Control in PT11

Whilst I fully appreciate the age of the desk & the need to move forward, I love my 32 faders of Pro Control.

I had a Control 24 & hated it.

Can someone at AVID explain to me in language that i'll understand, why a legacy control protocol over ethernet, can't be kept into the future? Surely the drivers could be re-compiled into 64bit code, even if the desk isn't officially supported?

Other than than , PT11HD looks great !

I kind of feel though like I'd be taking 'old Yeller' out back & shooting him, by giving up the Pro Control..it just works so well !

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Sad about loss of Pro Control in PT11

That is the reason I have always sticked to my 02R96V2, 02RV2 for mixing for so many years.

We have similar gear ( Mixing with 32 outs, 192D + 24 Bit Adat Bridge).

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM

I also would like to know why it won't work in PT11 and 64bit. I understand why they won't 'support' it anymore and add new features, but why will it absolutely NOT work in PT11?

We are aware that this was stated when PT11 was coming out, so I'm not ranting. I would like to know why this won't this work, but other 'legacy' peripheral control surfaces will and also the older blue 192s.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM

the PC came out before Mix hardware
the only other thing that old is HUI, it's MIDI based so it's fairly static

HD I/Os are based off of the 192s so there odds go up
looks like the MB2s are going to work but again there 1/3 the age of the PC and were the base for the MB3s

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
I also would like to know why it won't work in PT11 and 64bit. why will it absolutely NOT work in PT11?

Because they need to sell more $30,000 D-Commands !

Sad to say but I will always miss my 32 fader ProControl I sold when I got my D-command 5 years ago. Even tho Icon is more powerful, it never felt quite as perfect as ProControl did. :-(

When they designed PC they really got it right. It always bothered the Digidesign peeps when I told them ProControl was a much better design.

I upgraded to 24 fader ES along the way but I'm still not as comfortable as I was on PC.

They really had to kill it off this time because people would rather use it than Icon and the damn things just wont go away otherwise. Thats why the Control 24 probably will still work, since no one ever liked that thing anyway so they don't really worry about it. Its all those ProControls still out there in the world they need to put an end to once and for all !
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM

I am also very sad and angry about this.

So I buy a car 15 years ago for $20k. It doesn't look as nice now. It requires more repair, and it doesn't have the latest technology or comforts. But I still can drive it.

I feel like Avid just took my keys and threw them away.

The ProControl faders are still the best I've ever touched. The scribble scripts are bright, have enough characters and are easy to read. The rear of the unit is low enough that it doesn't interfere with my monitoring. I don't need 24 faders, or the mic press of the C24. The D-Command is almost 10 years old. There isn't something that works as well for me as the PC. I don't even need monitoring - I just need great amazing faders, a nice transport, some metering, and a nice footprint that can serve as a center for my studio.

AVID - I have an idea. Why don't you give away or sell the legacy code to the ProControl to a third party company. They can write new 64 bit drivers, and sell the upgrade to customers. I'd be happy to pony up as much as $500 to get new drivers. Then Avid doesn't have to support it or divert their resources and cash to write new code, but PC users can still use a very viable tool.

I am not anti Avid, or anti-upgrading. I started with PT III, then upgraded to PT 24, then Mix, then MixPlus, then HD, then HD Accel, and now HDX. I look at a control surface much like an analog mixer, and I'm pretty frustrated that a $20k piece will suddenly be worth next to nothing.

- Kent Hooper

Last edited by khoop2112; 04-09-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM

I always thought what they should have down instead of icon was build a pro control mk 2. Same footprint and basically design. Just added more features, better moniitoring etc. then everyone with a PC would have wanted the new better one. But now It really kills them that many prefer the older 20yr design to most of the newer stuff !

PC is still better than c24, artist mix, more manageable than d-control.

dcommand is really the only competition.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM

Are there any options on "upgrade" paths to new control surfaces??? I am very very very sad loosing my ProControl.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM

+1

Darryl Ramm
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM

My Avid dealer gave me a quote for trading in my PC and Fader pack plus around $12k to get to the 8 channel base D-Command. Hard to justify that, especially since it's about 10 years old.