Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-12-2000, 04:32 PM

Default Re: 5.0.1/G3 B&W Hangs @ StartUp!!

me too...
Old 07-12-2000, 04:38 PM

I'm really getting crazy for the same reason. Any news about the promised patch that could solve the problem?
Old 07-12-2000, 05:11 PM

Do a search for boot hang, lots o threads
Old 07-12-2000, 06:37 PM

If your computer works when its booted but some times hangs on the "digiinit" (usualy the fourth extention icon with a note on it) then you shuld try not to get to ****** about it... I did, and it did not help... I've used MIX24+ for quite some time now, and the same ting happens there from time to time... Digi knows this, and are hopefully (still) working on it... I the mean time: keep up the good work!!! make MUSIC... And let Digi do what We paid them to do...
Old 07-12-2000, 06:46 PM

I just had to reboot for 35 minutes to try to get past the DigiSystemINIT with a client deadline looming... fortunately they weren't in the room with me - I don't have enough jokes to fill that much time.

This is making me crazy! The PT 5.0.1 upgrade has made this problem much worse on my Yikes G4 400.

Digi - this is the biggest issue for me in the normal use of this product. I hope it's not too far down on your fix list.

Jeff D.
Old 07-13-2000, 01:38 AM

Default 5.0.1/G3 B&W Hangs @ StartUp!!

Hi
G3 B&W/350
192MB
DAE Init 5.0.1

Mac hangs @ startup 2 out of 3 times(Counted),
Any help, please..
This didn't happened w/dae 5.0

Thanks , Nem..
Old 07-13-2000, 07:42 AM

It took me 20 minutes of trying to boot last night. I renamed DSI with a space in front so that it would load first, put a z in front to make it load last; no difference!

I finally gave up and put DSI 5.0 back, and then did my editing in Peak (fortunately it was stereo file editing).

Once again:

G4 400 Yikes (PCI graphics)
OS 8.6 192 RAM
Adaptec 2930
DIGI001
ATI XCLAIM VR

Base extensions + Digi extensions, iMate, ATI XCLAIM extensions

HELP!

Jeff D.
Old 07-13-2000, 12:22 PM

Digi, a response about now would be entirely appropriate. Something along the line of, yes we're aware of this problem and we're working on a solution; or we're aware of the problem and we've chosen to ignore it. But please don't pass the onus of responsibility on to the users.

Jim Barton www.bartonvoice.com
Old 07-14-2000, 01:45 AM
Avid

Jim and others,

I can appreciate your desire for a quick response.

However, with the volume of activity on the DUC (not just in this forum but across the board) and the need to perform some basic research on what's posted, it sometimes takes us a bit.

Remember, the DUC is primarily designed to be a users to users forum, and the users supporting this forum are fantastic and continue to amaze me on a daily basis. Additionally, Digi tech support, engineers, and product management personnel do try to take an active roll here as time and schedules permit. We'll continue to try and do better.

Now, for this current issue;
We are aware that 5.01 seems to have made the boot hang more common on some systems, as is evidence by the postings here. Unfortunately, we have not determined why that is and are continuing to look at this issue. I will post more as we learn more on correcting this and the possibility of posting a patch.

For background; The infamous "hang on DSI" during boot-up occurs when the DSI reprograms the PCI Bridge Chip in order to give higher priorty to our cards. What this ultimately translates to is a drastic reduction in the occurance of the dreaded DAE -6042 "PCI Bus too Busy" error. Owners of B&W G3 and first generation G4s (i.e the ones that are equipped with PCI graphics) will experience this occcasional lockup. AGP-equipped G4s do not require this modification.

Bob Langlie
Digidesign Customer Support

[This message has been edited by DigiCS (edited July 13, 2000).]
Old 07-14-2000, 08:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DigiCS:

Owners of B&W G3 and first generation G4s (i.e the ones that are equipped with PCI graphics) will experience this occcasional lockup. AGP-equipped G4s do not require this modification.

Bob Langlie
Digidesign Customer Support

[This message has been edited by DigiCS (edited July 13, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob:

Thank you very much for your response. It's true that sometimes we forget that this is a user to user forum.

I do need to make one clarification though. Many of us are not experiencing an "occasional lockup" at the Digi Init during boot sequence. It is repetitive, it is chronic, it is day-to-day, sometimes as many as 7-12 times per morning.

Again, my sincere thanks.

Jim Barton www.bartonvoice.com