Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 06:35 AM

Default HD3 - How does it all connect??

Hi,

I'm quite new at HD3 and how it all works.
I'm currently running LE and am upgrading but not sure what
need to go where and what needs to be purchased.

I'm getting a 1073DPD, 192 I/O and the HD3.

I don't understand how it all connects to eachother and
what I need ie: Mbox 2 Pro has 2 phones ports + volume control
2 Xlr and 1/4 inputs + volume control

What do I need to get to replicate this?? The command 8???

I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Re: HD3 - How does it all connect??

Take a look at the "Big Knob" from Mackie.

Maybe somebody else knows any cheaper alternatives? (Not that the Big Knob is that expensive tho hehe)
Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Take a look at the "Big Knob" from Mackie.

Maybe somebody else knows any cheaper alternatives? (Not that the Big Knob is that expensive tho hehe)
Probably not any cheaper, but Presonus Central Station is quite nice! I know there are pricier monitoring/controller options out there, but I'm willing to bet the Central Station is every bit as nice as what's in the monitor section of the Control 24.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:14 PM

i went the Command 8 so you get the control part for the monitors and the control surface. Best of both worlds.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
[…] I don't understand how it all connects to eachother…
You can get a jump start by downloading (and reading) all relevant HD system documentation.

Start with (drum roll, please) “HD Getting Started Guide,” and the “Expanded Systems Guide,” if applicable, as well as the manual(s) for whichever interface(s) and controller you’re planning to acquire.

After that, I’d recommend that you read the “Plug-ins Guide” and the “PT Reference Guide.” With the latter at hand, here’s a tip for speeding up your transition from LE. Open the pdf version of the Reference Guide and search for “HD Only”. This will quickly reveal all topics that you would have bypassed in the past as an LE user. (If your pdf documents open with Apple’s “Preview”, besure to reveal the “Drawer” from the “View” menu, or use the “Shift-Command-D” shortcut.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 04-19-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[…] I don't understand how it all connects to eachother…
You can get a jump start by downloading (and reading) all relevant HD system documentation.

Start with (drum roll, please) “HD Getting Started Guide,” and the “Expanded Systems Guide,” if applicable, as well as the manual(s) for whichever interface(s) and controller you’re planning to acquire.

After that, I’d recommend that you read the “Plug-ins Guide” and the “PT Reference Guide.” With the latter at hand, here’s a tip for speeding up your transition from LE. Open the pdf version of the Reference Guide and search for “HD Only”. This will quickly reveal all topics that you would have bypassed in the past as an LE user. (If your pdf documents open with Apple’s “Preview”, besure to reveal the “Drawer” from the “View” menu, or use the “Shift-Command-D” shortcut.

IHTH.

Thanks. I'll get onto that asap.