Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2019, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatement plans axed from Jan 1st 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
How about making a valid argument with something more relevant, like another comparative company or DAW, Nuendo, Cubase Pro, Sequoia, Studio One etc, for example??

How convenient is to always use Adobe or Microsoft when you want to justify Avid's subscription model! Seriously? You believe that this works? It's like comparing my Netflix subscription with my gym.

Adobe and Microsoft provide a bunch of apps for a reasonable fee...Avid charges much more money for just one app and the penalty fee if the plan is due...plus all the shenanigans that followed.
Even at that general level the comparison is moot.

If you can't see how ridiculous that is, comparing apples to oranges, then, sorry.....you're pretty hopeless my dear...

Cheers!
Spot on.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:35 AM

Anyway, in a way I should be thankful. This has motivated me even more to move to using a different DAW.

I guess I will keep my Ultimate license until the OS I am running doesn't support the latest version I have 2018.10, and with Catalina in existence and a new Mac Pro likely hitting my studio early next year that might be pretty soon.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:08 AM

I don't know, it's kind of no surprise and leaves me with only two words, Harrison 32c. I know confidentially that 2 other well known successful engineers are migrating. probably a harbinger of what's to come. It doesn't matter if AVID are removing reinstatement, it was overpriced anyway as was the annual fee and they consistently chose marketing strategies over customer fulfilment and rock solid software. Honestly I secretly hoped they would just make all of it a more reasonable pricing and I would have just continued but this strategic approach and how it has affected real world creative flow by demanding more downtime to get systems working without interruptions to PT and how using it alongside other DAW's for connection via digilink has become too clunky is a pain. Considering they have the gall to continue this route is why I am not paying anymore. I've been here since 2000, in all fairness when I have had an issue in the past they have usually responded well and I have really enjoyed the support users give to each other so I'm grateful for that and having used PT in various versions pretty much from day 1 with a lot of it being good.

If you are listening AVID, For the period in my life when I had a facility with 4 hd systems paying for upgrades it was NEVER a sticking point to pay for new versions etc, but the last 3 years has proven to me you are unworthy of what you are asking for. I dont like how your product has suffered while you have been focussed on the long term plan of getting to this very point where subscription will be enforced essentially. Respectfully an attitude and change of strategy is well overdue and is the only way I will ever be happy to pay for PT again.

So the joke that you made with the 'special offer' for me to hand in my perpetual license to get back on the subscription plan for 599 USD and save myself some money is respectfully ignored unless someone can enlighten and convince me how that is truly special I'm not holding my breath. cheers
Old 11-29-2019, 07:06 AM

Can we assume that re-instatement codes purchased before January 1st through authorized Avid re-sellers can be activated after January 1st?
Old 11-29-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlogik View Post
Can we assume that re-instatement codes purchased before January 1st through authorized Avid re-sellers can be activated after January 1st?
Yes we can, because Avid said resellers can sell their old stock as long as they have any
Old 11-29-2019, 07:48 AM

But how long can we take to use the reinstatement? Five years? Or more.

Sweetwater has the reinstatement for $199 right now.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 11-29-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes we can, because Avid said resellers can sell their old stock as long as they have any
This also implies they may "run out of stock" well before Jan 1. Any clarification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
But how long can we take to use the reinstatement? Five years? Or more.

Sweetwater has the reinstatement for $199 right now.
B&H too.

Great deal for people who've been sitting on old versions for years.

But I'm guessing Avid is smart enough to keep track of their licenses to know when you purchased it. Not sure I'd take the risk of attempting to activate it 3 years from now only to discover that it expired 2 years prior. lol Who knows, maybe you're right.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Anyway, in a way I should be thankful. This has motivated me even more to move to using a different DAW.

I guess I will keep my Ultimate license until the OS I am running doesn't support the latest version I have 2018.10, and with Catalina in existence and a new Mac Pro likely hitting my studio early next year that might be pretty soon.
These new policies from Avid drove me in the same direction. I have PT since 2011, but when the annual perpetual license plan was doubled to $199, I was out.

Presonus is having a sale until Sunday night. I bought one of their mixers last year and owned a copy of Studio One Artist I never used. I upgraded to Studio One Professional 4 for $149!

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 11-29-2019, 09:18 AM

Yeah, I own logic X. Played with it a couple times. Just spent an hour seeing how to get my midi drum kit up and running. I'm sure it does everything pro tools does but looks like crap and creates channels I don't want to see. Not as straightforward as PT. Sigh!
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 11-29-2019, 09:27 AM

You'd expect periodically Avid would develop such a set of new features to make the next version of Pro Tools attractive and worthy of upgrading to. But, instead of that carrot, we get a stick that only makes sense to busy studios and very busy individuals. It squeezes not just the ones who can't afford the cost (of owning a copy that won't stop working), but also those of us who are not happy with this high cost low value club membership being compulsory. Short version, good to know Avid through versions 8-9-10-12 etc. We say goodbye here.