Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 03-10-2021, 06:45 AM

Default Sonarworks Reference problem

Hi all! Apologies in advance if this has allready been adressed, but i couldn't find it after some searching. I have installed Sonarworks Soundid Reference AAx plugin, but it just won't appear in Pro tools. Anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-10-2021, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Sonarworks Reference problem

I just did the same (latest PT on Mac) and no problem. It worked fine. I was able to import my previous presets
Old 03-10-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I just did the same (latest PT on Mac) and no problem. It worked fine. I was able to import my previous presets
Well i use PC windows 10....i suspect that might be te issue
Old 03-10-2021, 09:22 AM

I'm also not seeing it in show up on my Windows system. The VST version shows up just fine Reaper. Also the older software, Reference 4, still shows up in Pro Tools. Just not the new SoundID.

Tried a reinstall (both SoundID and Pro Tools), restart, rescan,, confirmed the AAX file was in the correct folder, etc. No dice.

Frustrating.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:41 PM

I installed the new SoundID, and it opens fine in PT, but it's "dead", i.e. no input or output levels jumping.
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 03-12-2021, 02:04 PM

Have you already run the calibration to save a curve? Just wondering if the plugin won't work until it has a calibration curve to load. A little more info to help:
#1-the system calibration MUST be done at 44.1K(unless they very recently changed this).
#2-some interfaces will simply not work(like my DIGI003 rack). I borrowed a cheap Behringer USB interface and the calibration process went off without a hitch and I was able to save the curve.
#3-when I first inserted the plugin in a Pro Tools session, the plugin came up with my calibration curve already selected(hence my first comment)
#4-once you save the calibration, you can run your sessions at any sample rate, without any issues with the Sonarworks plugin

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-12-2021, 04:04 PM

Good point, I'll try that.
iMac (2020: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, 32GB), OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Pro Tools 2024, UAD Apollo 8, UAD-2 Quad Satellite DSP Accelerator, 2 x Lacie Thunderbolt SSD (250GB), Seagate Backup Plus Drive (4TB).
Old 03-12-2021, 06:00 PM

Yep, that did the trick, thank you!
Old 04-25-2021, 12:58 PM

Issue resolved....all i had to do was to install the new version of reference 4 But i'm unsure of what settings to use...for example, should i use "flat target"? And how about latency, filter, listening spot, limit controls and safe headroom? Anyone know which settings i should use on them?
Old 04-25-2021, 02:58 PM

You'll need to figure out what works best for you. That's why the options are there Here's my 2 cents:
Flat target?-that depends on what you want to hear, and what your room/spkrs can deliver. And, "flat" to what extreme? If you have small speakers, its likely a waste of time to shoot for flat to 40Hz

Latency-This one is pretty simple. If you are not self-recording(recording while listening to the main output), then latency probably doesn't matter. If the latency bothers you, then you would have good reason to bypass(you really only need the reference curve while mixing, anyway).

The rest are up to you, but keep this in mind: If the reference curve has a lot of boost, that boost will chew up headroom(of your speakers) really fast. Keep a keen ear out for breakup in the low end(likely where most of the "magic" is happening. Lately, I have been using IK Multimedia ARC3 instead(not sure its any better, its just easier for me) and the plugin always defaults to -12 on the output(probably to save some headroom). Since my speakers can deliver maybe 105db, I'm fine with things being turned down, but I usually reset the output to -0 as my normal mixing level is rarely above the lower 90db range. If I do crank it up, its only for a few seconds to hear if anything(mix-wise) falls apart

And always remember to bypass the plugin when bouncing a mix. I may have said that already, but I do work for the department of redundancy department........

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave