Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 "unable to locate digidesign hardware''!

I recall someone here on the DUC posted that they were able to flash upgrade their firmware on an academic Mbox2 but they had to use a Window's PC to do it. It was a pretty complicated process but he got his to work after that. Probably the best thing to do is contact Digidesign Customer Service or Technical Support and see if you can send it in for them to do the firmware upgrade. The down side is that you will be down without you interface until it is returned to you.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Hello
I just wanted to tell you that I had the same problem as you guys.
I tried everything to fix it like you did and nothing solved my problem. I also blamed the store for selling me a bad unit (even though it was not their problem) and had to downgrade to protools 7.4.2 so it would work on my macbook working with leopard.
I wrote to the digidesign support area, and they gave me some instructions but nothing worked so I was told to call the ProAxess line. The thing with this line is it has a cost per minute, but if they can't fix the problem and you have to send them the unit they wont charge you for the call. That was my case (and I think yours as well).
They called me about a week later and told me they had examined the unit and everything was fine. I told them it did not work for me so they told me they would simply send me a new unit. This one works perfectly.

If you still have the problem, I would recommend that you call the ProAxess line, tell them your problem, go through their step by step fixing solution (which wont work) and then get your RA number. The only thing that will cost you will be the shipping of the unit to Digidesign, but it will be worth all the stress and suffering this problem causes.
I hope you can solve your problem like I did.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:51 PM

I can confirm that this issue can be fixed with a firmware update.

I had the same problem and fixed it by upgrading the firmware of my MBox 2 to v1.43.
I used the Windows XP updater. It took several attempts but eventually the update worked. My MBox2 is now no longer marked as "Academic" and I can now run PT8.0.3 under Snow Leopard.

link to the updater: http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm...4&itemid=24364

good luck.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:44 AM

I have an mbox 2 and received the same documentation stating my unit was improperly flashed with "academic." Having recently upgraded to a macbook pro with snow leopard, I'm now experiencing the issue with the interface not being recognized.

I tried downgrading Pro Tools version 8.0.3 to version 7.4.2 to rectify the "unable to locate hardware" issue. Now Pro Tools will not launch at all.

I'm attempting to follow the link,http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=24364 to try and update firmware, but now all old links just point to Avid's new home page...FML
Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM

I have the same exact problem and all the links people have posted, like the firmware updaters, all point to Avid's new home page and not the resource they are supposed to reference. Good job Avid
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Avid

The above links have been fixed.

http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm...4&itemid=24364
Old 04-19-2010, 03:33 AM

It worked! I was not able to update the mbox 2 firmware on my macbook pro, but I loaded protools on my old Win XP machine, followed the instructions listed above to update the "academic" firmware and after a few tries (it failed 3 times) the firmware updated and now my macbook pro's pro tools recognizes the mbox 2.

Thank you for the assistance Pro Tools forum!

http://twitpic.com/1gq7ua
Old 06-04-2010, 02:24 AM

ok i am having problems with pro tools. i really do want this program and it took over a couple of days to download. i have unzip'd all the files and installed it correctly but it comes up with an error message saying digidesigin hardware not found. i would really appreciate help. thanks
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 AM

really any help would be greatly appreciated. anyone who has downloaded through such sites as rapidshare tell me the process on how you got it to work
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

I'm already running firmware 1.43 and PT 8.0.4 and suddenly I'm having the same problem w/ my Micro. Please don't tell me that i'm going to have to send this back to Avid to fix it. I rarely ever use this thing... and i've had it since they came out. I don't want to have to pay to fix something I didn't break!

I just noticed something. When I launch Core Audio Mgr, it says Digi 002, and "not connected". But I don't run an 002 on this machine. I may have at one time, but not anymore. Could that be the problem? My Dev Mgr detects it as USB Mbox though.

PS... my sig is outdated. I'm running 10.5.8
j

Thanks!
Jasone
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan