Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-05-2021, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Hybrid people - how do you get your mix out of PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHere View Post
Thanks for your input and sorry for being unclear!
I might be wrong, but I understand you are bouncing instead of printing? If you want to make a change you have to start the bounce all over again, correct?
That is correct . Understanding that since I try to get my mix the way I want it before bouncing by auditioning the mix critically enough that I seldom change anything after listening to the bounce. So unless you have to change a bunch on things on your mixes Printing to an Aux track you then have export is not really an advantage over simply Bouncing to Disk time wise .

Quote:
When printing I can simply punch in the section I want to change. That said, I am not looking for an alternative to printing (that’s a given), I am looking for the best way to get the finished mix file from my „Print“ track in Pro Tools to the desktop unaltered. I felt that bouncing was „wrong“ for this, because it renders the same file again instead of simply copying it. But I can see the advantages of multi format bounces. Will have a look at it again, thanks.
Well again perhaps it's a matter work flow and intended use for the exported file. Given I tend to record and mix in the format I want for the bounce file there is no additional altering to speak of during BTD happening to speak of over that of printing and exporting .

Not sure what you mean by "because it renders the same file again instead of simply copying it". I could be mistaken but it is my understanding that the audio coming out of PT going into the bounce is not rendered but is simply being played in real time . So I assume that means the processing of the plugins and HW inserts is done (one time) when it is converted into the interleaved stereo WAV file ....
For printing I assume the processing for the plug ins and HW inserts is done one time to process into the Printed track, then converted into a WAV interleaved stereo file when exported out of PT

All that bing said if you still think you must Print first,,, then I would guess the best way to export the Print track is to highlight the print track, right click, and select bounce
Or select the printed track in the clips bin, click and select Export selected as files

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 05-06-2021 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:58 PM

Can't you just select the printed file in Pro Tools and hit Command-Shift K? That brings up the export dialogue. Save to your desktop and be done.

Maybe I don't understand your flow, but that's what I do to get printed mixes "out" of Pro Tools for delivery.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:43 PM

Why are people suggesting to export an already printed file out of PT?

Unless you need to alter bit depth or sample rate, just right click the file in the clip list, show in Finder (Mac) and there’s your file.

I get that HD space and cost isn’t an issue anymore (to a degree), but why waste more time and disk space when the file is already there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2021, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Why are people suggesting to export an already printed file out of PT?

Unless you need to alter bit depth or sample rate, just right click the file in the clip list, show in Finder (Mac) and there’s your file.

I get that HD space and cost isn’t an issue anymore (to a degree), but why waste more time and disk space when the file is already there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's something I've been trying to figure out - the file exists in the audio folder that's in the session folder. Why complicate things?

QAPLA!