Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-25-2014, 06:18 PM

Default Mbox 2 Vs. Mbox 3

I have been a Pro Tools engineer going on six years now and recently made the switch from an Mbox 2 to an Mbox 3. (Well, I made the switch about 3 years ago but I'm finally deciding to address the problem now).

Am I the only one who thinks that the sound quality and pre amp was much better in the Mbox 2 than it is in the Mbox 3? I am talking about the regular Mbox models and not the "Pro" versions. I know the specs say otherwise but I can't help but notice how crisp and clear the vocals were on songs recorded via my Mbox 2 vs the songs the I have done for the Mbox 3. I find myself doing much more mixing than I had to when using the Mbox 3 as well as dealing with a constant battle with distortion.

If you don't agree, do you think an extra pre amp is necessary to help with the vocals of my Mbox 3? I was thinking of purchasing an Avalon but I'm not sure yet. Money is tight

Any help/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Vs. Mbox 3

The "general consensus" is that the 3rd gen sound much better than the second gen. But as always, beauty is in the eye(ear) of the beholder. Then, there is also the "comfort" factor where you get so used to something, that anything different doesn't feel right, regardless of the quality difference(real or imagined). Its been my experience that each generation of Digi/Avid interface has been better than the previous, but your ears are not mine

Is everything else exactly the same(room, speakers, acoustics, microphones, etc)?

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave