Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Keep getting \"cannot communicate with HUI\" message

Hi.

I had this problem before, so I thought it would be a good idea to reinstall OS X and all my software, starting from scratch to make sure that all of the drivers and versions are correct. I'm running:

OS X 10.4.4 on a Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz with 1.5 Gig or Ram and an external FW800 hard disk
Pro Tools M-Powered version 7.1

A Projectmix I/O which I installed before Pro Tools, and updated the driver to the on that's meant for OS X 10.4.4, and also I updated the firmware (although this says that it's for 10.4.2)

I'll be playing back something I've recorded, and suddenly I lose audio output, and then Pro Tools tells the the above message.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Keep getting \"cannot communicate with HUI\" message

I forgot to mention, I bought a PCMCIA firewire card (unbranded) to give the Projectmix its own bus. Could this be causing the problem? Perhaps it's giving the Projectmix an unreliable connection...
Old 04-14-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Keep getting \"cannot communicate with HUI\" message

Usually that means the MIDI/USB interface has issues, which one are you using, and are you using the latest drivers???
Old 04-15-2006, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Keep getting \"cannot communicate with HUI\" mes

I've got a Korg Micro Kontrol keyboard plugged into a USB socket in the powerbook. I tried connecting the Projectmix to the built-in firewire 400 socket, and the external hard disk to the USB, which meant that I had to disconnect the Korg Keyboard. After doing this everything worked fine, but I don't know if it was because I had disconnected the keyboard, or if it was because the Projectmix was connected via the built-in firewire slot, and not through the PCMCIA firewire card.

I think the problem is to do with the firewire connection to the Projectmix, because I also had problems just playing music with itunes where the sound would stop, and I couldn't get it to work again until I had power cycled the projectmix. This was also fixed by using the built-in firewire socket...

Thanks for your help.

I would appreciate any more opinions.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:44 AM

I am having the same problems for months now..I called M-Audio they bounce me to Digi and in trun Digi bounce me back to M-audio I was like WTF!? so if any ideas would be great...
Old 05-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Check out the peripherals on the set-up menu. Whichever things you have set up as a "midi controller" using HUI protocol need to be there everytime you open a session (ie don't change). I Had the same issue with a Frontier Tranzport (communicates with PT as HUI via USB) when I changed it to "native Tranzport" to use with Logic Pro; Check each peripheral setup and make sure they are using HUI as the communication to PT

Jay