Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 10:27 AM

Default Is it possible to make PT a slave to another MIDI device (such as a Roland VS machine

if so how?
Old 02-28-2002, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to make PT a slave to another MIDI device (such as a Roland VS machine

You need to send Pro Tools MIDI Time Code for address and some kind of digital clock for time. You definitely need a MIDI interface for that, but whether you also need some kind of synchronizer depends on what the VS puts out.

What does it put out? And which PT are you using?
Old 03-01-2002, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to make PT a slave to another MIDI device (such as a Roland VS machine

I'm using PT LE (Digi 001) and I believe the VS sends out MTC........

mik
Old 03-01-2002, 09:53 PM

Then send MTC to the 001 and put it online (see the manual - it's option/; if I remember right). It'll start playing under its own sync at the same MTC address as your VS. Well, you have to set up the VS in your OMS setup, but it's quite straightforward.

If you want the 001 to stay synced to the VS continuously - and you do want that - send the 001 S/PDIF from the VS and have the 001 clock to that. You're not necessarily using this for audio, you're using it for clock.

I'd recommend that you go to Radio Shack and pick up a cheap "video dubbing" 75 Ohm cable for the S/DIF. Audio cable may work, but it's not ideal.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:52 AM

I have a coaxial cable for digital I/O......is that good enough......I'd already set up the VS in the OMS.....and another think I never found out how to get online......I'll keep reading but if you could just throw it my way please let me know.......
Old 03-02-2002, 08:59 AM

Coax should be fine. "Online" means "waiting for timecode." The key combination I mentioned above (option/ [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] should work, and if not you can get a list of PT key commands from the help menu.

That round blue icon with the on the transport window does the same thing.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:09 AM

oh ok....thanks.....that is another thing......I don't know what any of the transport icons mean.....and its not in tha book.....but I will try to put it online and see if it will pick up the time code sent by the VS machine.......do you know which options I choose in setup>>periphial or Windows>> session setup?
Old 03-02-2002, 10:38 AM

ok I got it now....but I keep getting an error......it says "Missed the sync point due to time spent allocating disk space. Please use a larger preroll or limit disk allocation for better performance.".......I tired messing with the pre roll but that didn't work......I went under Disk Allocation and didn't understand what any of it really meant......it had on top a "Track" Field and a "Root Media Folder" field which had a change button next to it which gave you tha option to change the folder.....further down it had some check box options.....the first one what "Customer Allocation Options.........right under it (slightly indented) it had "Root Media Folder" and a path after that which also had a change button next to it to change the folder.....(you couldn't mess with all that though cause it wasn't checked")......Under that it had "Create subfolders for Audio, Video, and Fade files".......(this one was checked)......next it had "Use round robin allocation for new tracks".....this wasn't checked....under it it had another check box for "include system colume"......which could only be checked if you check "use round robin....").......If you can think of anything please help....I really appreciate it......and also does anybodyööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö öööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööööö ööööööööööööööööööööööööö