Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2015, 03:37 PM

Default Pro Tools HD 12.3 + El Capitan - Has anyone taken the plunge yet?

I am considering to update my OS from 10.9.5 to 10.11 and at the same time move from PT11.3HD to PT12.3HD.

I'm just in-between productions, so the timing seems right. I do mainly audio recording / editing / mixing - next to no MIDI & VIs. I regularly transfer my productions from my laptop to HDX-equipped studios and back.

What's your experience with ElCapitan and 12.3? Is this combination reliable? Any show-stopping bugs?

Thanks for sharing!

AVID Certified Instructor
Old 11-15-2015, 03:46 PM

Default Re: PT12.3HD + ElCapitan - Has anyone taken the plunge yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmuths View Post
I am considering to update my OS from 10.9.5 to 10.11 and at the same time move from PT11.3HD to PT12.3HD.

I'm just in-between productions, so the timing seems right. I do mainly audio recording / editing / mixing - next to no MIDI & VIs. I regularly transfer my productions from my laptop to HDX-equipped studios and back.

What's your experience with ElCapitan and 12.3? Is this combination reliable? Any show-stopping bugs?

Thanks for sharing!
El Cap 11.11.1 is officially qualified by Avid now

As for bugs, from the little I have seen, El Cap has some OS bugs that are keeping me upgrading from Yosemite (Or wanting to at least).
Old 11-15-2015, 03:58 PM

Hi Jan,

I'm running El Cap and 12.3 on a 15 Inch Retina. So far so good.
I did do a super clean install from OS upwards though, no updating of OSX, just minty fresh.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 PM

I'm running PT12.3 in my 27" iMac mid 2011 with El Capitan and the only issue I found so far is that during playback and recording if I move the mouse over the Edit window the timeline mark stops and the main counter stops. Also you can see that the meters on every track on the mixing window stop as well. Playback and recording continue their normal operation, I can hear the music playing but meters stop on all tracks and this is happening in my two computers (27" iMac mid 2011 and MacBook Pro Retina 13" mid 2014) both running El Capitan. I was running PT9 without any problems so at this point I don't know if this is a new function added after PT9 or if it's a bug. I posted a video on Youtube to show you guys what the issue looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_elCa7TgI

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmuths View Post

Thanks for sharing!
It's fine, been running it for days now.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:13 AM

On OS X 10.10.5 here.
cMP 5.1; Hex core 3.3GHz; 32GB; SSDs
Only upgrading if there is any real advantage.
El Cap is supposed to bring under the hood performance upgrades.
Notice any improvements??

Would appreciate feedback...

Z.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:26 AM

For one I've never seen pro tools start up so fast. Maybe 5 seconds from an SSD drive. Loading a session took the normal time though.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-16-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Seas View Post
El Cap is supposed to bring under the hood performance upgrades.
Notice any improvements??
Noticeable graphic improvements over Yosemite (not talking about Metal)
A better system font.
Finder is faster (app launch, navigation, etc)

I installed it on day one, had to disable SIP to get my SSL driver working, so far it's a pretty solid OS, at least for me. All my audio apps are working with no issue.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:44 AM

I openend a case with Avid support and got response 5 min ago. The case was closed as bug logged. Here is a brief description of what is happening.

I'm running PT12.3 on three different Apple computers, all of them running El Capitan: 27" iMac mid 2011, MacBook Pro 13" retina mid 2014 and Mac Mini late 2014, like I said all of then running El Capitan (OS 10.11.1). PT12.3 runs fine but yesterday I found a very annoying bug so I opened a case with Avid support.

During playback and recording if I move the mouse over the Edit window the timeline mark stops and the main counter stops. Also you can see that the meters on every track in the mixing window stop as well. Playback and recording continue their normal operation, I can hear the music playing but meters stop on all tracks.

I made a video that I posted on Youtube and the link to the video is on post #4.

Here is Avid response to my case:

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for the video of the issue you are seeing. This is a new issue that has began to occur with some model Macs under Mac OS 10.11. This issue does not occur under Mac OS 10.10. The issue is currently under investigation and we are hoping it will be resolved in a future update of Pro Tools or Mac OS.

This issue will not affect your ability to record or playback audio it just interrupts the Pro Tools GUI when you are moving the mouse. I know that it's distracting to look at an I thank you for your patience with this issue while we sort it out.

Since we are ware of the issue, have logged a bug against it, and are working to resolve it I am going to close this case as bug logged. If you find that you have more questions feel free to replay and reopen the case. This is possible for the next 25 days.

Best regards,
Bill
Avid Audio Support
Old 11-17-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV626 View Post
Noticeable graphic improvements over Yosemite (not talking about Metal)
A better system font.
Finder is faster (app launch, navigation, etc)

I installed it on day one, had to disable SIP to get my SSL driver working, so far it's a pretty solid OS, at least for me. All my audio apps are working with no issue.
Thank you for your answer.
In face of Enrico's report, I think I will hold out a little longer.
Yosemite has been a buggy release from the start, El Cap seems to potentially be more stable, less bloated and therefore faster.
I'm guessing the next PT major release will take better advantage of the new APIs...
Z.