Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Default suggestions for a cost-effective system to run pt hd 8

from my very quick read - it appears to me that

adding one of the earliest (used) hd core cards and a (used) 192digital could be a cost effective way of attaining an hd system

i have a presonus firestudio, as well as a few other pres with digital i/o

ebay has the digital 192s for in and around around $1,100, and the pci core cards are in and around the same

i would be running this on either my dell 390 quad or my dell 690 2xdual core

so i think i'm only a couple of grand away from a system

does this sound reasonable...or am i missing something
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Default Re: suggestions for a cost-effective system to run pt hd 8

essentially, that's correct. i don't think the firestudio will work standalone but you have other pres so that's ok. also, you'll need a pretty big case and the right motherboard to ensure that

a. you actually have some pci slots
b. you can fit the damn cards in your machine (they are 12 5/8" long!)

then you'll need to buy pt 8 (about £170)

finally, you have to hope it works. unfortunately, digi don't really support PCs that aren't qualified (hardly any are, even though loads work), so if you drop $2K and it just doesn't work properly, then you're kinda stuck with it. it's a risk. i took the risk a couple of weeks ago and everything is ok so far (fingers crossed).

Alec
Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Default Re: suggestions for a cost-effective system to run pt hd 8

hi, thanks for the info

in the wake of digi not releasing anything for abit - i thought i'd go backwards and construct a tdm mixcoreplus system

i first budgeted for 500bucks - ha ha, that quickly turned into 800..and i now i can easily see it heading for 1100 very very soon - johhnytoolbox, i should have bought your system....i live i learn...least i hope so...ha ha

but i digress

all i need right now is a system capable of tracking 16 audio feeds at once, for nailing some beds to the wall for a personal album project and a soundtrack that i've taken on over this next year...i may have a surround project coming in soon as well..should be interesting, i think 6.4.1 can do surround...i'll find out soon enough

so i'll do al of the above with my new/old mix core - and wait for 12 months to see what is going on with digi - ha ha..do you think by then i'll be able to upgrade through a digi trade-in plan...if so hold onto your 888'[s...they could be worth the price of a cable

all good
cheers