Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Default Strike or something else

Who's got the best drum software? I feel limited with Strike in one way. I want to be able to create beats, hit by hit, ex.. placing in "x" in a grid patern for kick, snare, tom, etc. Am I limited by the preset patterns with this software or do I have full ability to create anything I can imagine? Still new to Strike, Any tricks of the trade would be app. Can I make beats by using individual drums in Strike using my Axiom25 midi? Using the keys to hit individual drum, hh, snare,etc. Or is everything already preset as a pattern? I just want control over each individual hit of the kit. I hope I confused you. LOL!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Strike or something else

Transfuser will do what you want and more.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 AM

Strike is cool, I like it---but there are others I pool from depending upon my mood. What kind of sounds are you after, such as what kind of music are you doing?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Strike is cool, I like it
I too like Strike however there is a lack of functionality that smothers it's workflow and that even PTIEP isn't going to fix. Unlike Transfuser, Strike does not support Style Editor real-time MIDI Input.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Hi bfields28....

Sounds like you might like Reason which has Redrum, could be something you might like to program drum beats.

There are others that have grid pattern drum beat making but right now I'm can't think of what they are because I don't use them and barely remember them in passing.

The samplers I use are Superior & EZ Drummer Addictive Drums which don't give you any grid patterns for drum beat making.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM

I love BFD2. It has a great sequencer, and gives you a full mixer and MIDI map as well. The sound quality is awesome, and it gives you the option to import your own samples, too. Works great in both standalone and as a plugin.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfields28 View Post
Who's got the best drum software? I feel limited with Strike in one way. I want to be able to create beats, hit by hit, ex.. placing in "x" in a grid patern for kick, snare, tom, etc. Am I limited by the preset patterns with this software or do I have full ability to create anything I can imagine? Still new to Strike, Any tricks of the trade would be app. Can I make beats by using individual drums in Strike using my Axiom25 midi? Using the keys to hit individual drum, hh, snare,etc. Or is everything already preset as a pattern? I just want control over each individual hit of the kit. I hope I confused you. LOL!
Strikes style GUI is kind of a PITA, that's why I use just midi tracks for channels 3 thru 14 assigned to strike faders 1 thru 12, or use just one midi/instrument track assigned to strike input channel 2. You can play it from your controller while recording it.

Assigning midi to strike channel one gets you mostly preset beats...channels 2 on up get you individual part/voice control. No preset beats there.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalavtech View Post
Strikes style GUI is kind of a PITA, that's why I use just midi tracks for channels 3 thru 14 assigned to strike faders 1 thru 12, or use just one midi/instrument track assigned to strike input channel 2. You can play it from your controller while recording it.
Hi Greg, hope all is well for you and your family. Ummm... can I just point out to those that might not know that when Strike is reading note data from the Pro Tools Timeline, Strike's humanization (time-base) controls have no effect. Only sample-based controls in Strike have an effect.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM

Superior Drummer 2.0 has my vote.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Hi Greg, hope all is well for you and your family. Ummm... can I just point out to those that might not know that when Strike is reading note data from the Pro Tools Timeline, Strike's humanization (time-base) controls have no effect. Only sample-based controls in Strike have an effect.
Hi Aaron. The family is good at present. Thanks. True in that as far as the complexity, intensity and some other functions go, only from the preset loops do they shine. There are tedious workarounds in PT midi.