Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:30 PM

Default What Bugs are fixed in 7.4?

Before we upgrade to 7.4 here at the studio, it would be very helpful to know what known bugs have been fixed from 7.0/7.1/7.3. Here are a couple of the problems that are most critical to our day-to-day use of ProTools:

1. When we hit record, the play and record buttons flash for a number of seconds before the system goes into record. This makes it extremely hard to record a voice-over talent because you are constantly stalling for time with the talent as you wait for the software to catch up. As far as I know, the only way to fix this in the current versions is to wipe the digidesign database preferences whenever it occurs. Not only is this an extremely frustrating solution, but it is only temporary and we end up doing it quite often.

2. When playing video out the firewire port, every so often the video simply stops outputting. To solve this we have to turn off "video out firewire" and then turn it on again. Again, this sometimes happens with great frequency and becomes disruptive to the workflow of the session.

Hardware-wise we have HD2 on a PowerMac G5 with 10.4.7.

So I guess what I'd like to know is have the above bugs been fixed, what other known bugs have been fixed, and are there any known issues already with 7.4?

Thanks,

Ryan Dorp
Engineer, Robert Berke Sound
San Francisco, CA
Old 11-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: What Bugs are fixed in 7.4?

Robert, your item # 1 is not a bug. I'm not in front of my rig right now, so this is a quick and dirty description. I can verify in more detail later, but there's a button in your transport bar that counts back (Not preroll) a few seconds before record if enabled. Not sure if it's the conductor icon or something else. Check it out.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Before we upgrade to 7.4 here at the studio, it would be very helpful to know what known bugs have been fixed from 7.0/7.1/7.3. Here are a couple of the problems that are most critical to our day-to-day use of ProTools:

1. When we hit record, the play and record buttons flash for a number of seconds before the system goes into record. This makes it extremely hard to record a voice-over talent because you are constantly stalling for time with the talent as you wait for the software to catch up. As far as I know, the only way to fix this in the current versions is to wipe the digidesign database preferences whenever it occurs. Not only is this an extremely frustrating solution, but it is only temporary and we end up doing it quite often.

2. When playing video out the firewire port, every so often the video simply stops outputting. To solve this we have to turn off "video out firewire" and then turn it on again. Again, this sometimes happens with great frequency and becomes disruptive to the workflow of the session.

Hardware-wise we have HD2 on a PowerMac G5 with 10.4.7.

So I guess what I'd like to know is have the above bugs been fixed, what other known bugs have been fixed, and are there any known issues already with 7.4?

Thanks,

Ryan Dorp
Engineer, Robert Berke Sound
San Francisco, CA
#1 is the '2 Bars' button in your Transport bar.

#2 - Which video peripheral are you using? Which version of Quicktime do you have installed? Do you have any other firewire devices attached?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM

I have the same video playback problem. I've found a quick fix is to grab and move the video. Then simply hit undo to move it back. Then the video starts working again.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:40 PM

#1 could also be his disc allocation is set to open ended.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 PM

Robert,

If your Countoff is off on the transport already,

You can also "pre prime" the deck for both playback and
record.

On OS X
Ctrl+Spacebar prior to 'rolling' playback or record

OR Optn-click, on Transport Play button for same effect

Hope this helps,
Best ;-)
Walt
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 AM

List of bugs fixed in 7.4:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...0&Main=1216622

frank.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:33 AM

Thanks all for the ideas.

Turning off the 2-bar countoff has fixed the record problem. We've never had a reason to use the midi controls panel in the transport so I hadn't thought to look there. Oops. Does clearing the preferences file return the 2-bar to a default state of off and that's why that fix worked in the past?

As to the video problem and the request for system specifics, we are using a Canopus ADVC 110 converter, QuickTime 7.0.0 and until just yesterday there was a firewire hard drive attached to the same bus as the canopus. We were having problems with the drive so we got a PCI firewire controller and switched the canopus to that, leaving the hard drive on the built-in bus.