Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Zoom Toggle

Hey everyone!

Most of the guys here want the option of turning off the Zoom Toggle function permanently. Any idea on how to do that? Just clicking on the button to turn it off only works until the next time <E> or <Control+E> is pressed. Very distracting.

Thanks, Ninja Bob
Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Zoom Toggle

Not only that, but I really really really wish there was a way to lockout certain tools, or maybe a 'classic' tools mode. If I never seem the trimming time expension compression tool again, I wouldn't miss it. Inevitably while cycling tools, I'll select it, go to trim something, and it starts to calculate.... Bugs me. I wish I could lock out that tool.

And the E key, yeah. Has bitten me and several friends as well. Nice tool, but there should be a way to disable it.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:11 PM

I've said it before and I mean it . .

I'll buy a 12 pack for the first Digi employee that claims responsibility for helping implement a "tool lockout" preference. I edit a lot, and pretty fast too. It's so easy to accidentally to hit an F key more than once in a row . . . and I do it too many times a day. I'm sure somebody loves "object select," but it and most of the other tool options are useless to me.

A twelve pack . . of any beer!

Eric
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 PM

If I never see the ZOOM toggle again, it will be too soon!

Ditch it, make it the way it used to be. E is now USELESS!
Press E to zoom in, then click on the timeline, BOOM, ALL IS ZOOMED!
Sucky, Sucky, Sucky!

I'll buy a KEG of your favorite beer if you fix this!
Adrian
Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Ditch it, make it the way it used to be. E is now USELESS!Press E to zoom in, then click on the timeline, BOOM, ALL IS ZOOMED!
Sucky, Sucky, Sucky!
Adrian
Yep - I almost threw my Powerbook out of the window because of this. A workaround is to click in the marker ruler instead of the bar/beats/time rulers - then it won't do that ridiculous ZOOM EVERYTHING!!!! I mean who the hell at Digi thought this was a good thing?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 AM

AMEN!!!
Ive been bitchin about these stupid toggling tools for quite a while.
Either you get it or you dont.

I suspect those who dont get it, are the slower editers.
Ever since the first toggleing trim tool, about 5 years ago, my work has slowed down.
Ive tried EVERYTHING I can think of...
Ive tried Quick keys (which I use for lots of stuff), no go. It cant recognize that field in PRO TOOLS!!
Ive tred Hacking the software to change the programming ...nope.
Ive tried bitchin on this board..
Ive actually talked to Digi Software designer, he just didnt get it.
Its so frustrating that Digi has added "features" tht slow down and frustrate the most advance users. All while newbies and Hacks say " I like teh tools dong that"

ARGGHHHH
Horrible
Old 05-01-2007, 01:31 AM

TBH I actually don't mind the principle behind 'Zoom Toggle'.
I do lots of midi in PT and it's a necessary evil. However, it was pretty much fine in it's first implementation, before Digi started messing with it (you set your preferred 'zoom track height' in the prefs and that was it- although having said that, notes view in midi tracks didn't behave correctly. That needed some improvements).

The all new 'Zoom Toggle' in PT7.0 was just plain bad. They've tried to improve it in 7.3 with the new prefs and that's great - but they've also brought in some new side effects that can't be turned off - as said above, clicking in the timeline whilst 'zoomed' suddenly expands EVERY TRACK and loses focus on the one you were editing.... WTF? How can this possibly be any use to anyone?

Another annoyance is that clicking in an adjacent track whilst zoomed will suddenly switch the zoom focus to the next track, resize it and move the cursor very suddenly. This is very dangerous if you have the trim tool selected - you can easily end up moving/deleting regions completely by accident.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 AM

clicking in the timeline whilst 'zoomed' suddenly expands EVERY TRACK and loses focus on the one you were editing.... WTF? How can this possibly be any use to anyone?

You said a mouthful there. HOW CAN THIS POSSIBLY BE ANY USE TO ANYONE?

After pressing "E" to temp zoom,
Maybe I want to put the cursor on the timeline to quickly align regions or what not,
Zoom Zoom Zoom Zoom, Crap Crap Crap Crap...Make it stop Daddy!!!

Adrian
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 AM

Yes, I see why that is a drag, however, we are talkng about 2 different issues.
THe Zoom toggle issue I am reffering to is that fact that it actuall exsists at all, without having the option to choose JUST the regular Zoom tool ( no Toggle).
Same goes for any tool that has the alternate toggled tool options. ITs just insane that Digi doesnt give us the option to turn those crappy options off!

Every single engineer and user that I have talked to about this agrees with me, or, after I watch them work, I point out where it is severely slowing them down, at wich point they agree.
ITs just a simple option that would solve SO MANY user issues.
Just give me a way to select the actual tool i want without having to click 2,3,4,5,6, or 7 times to finally land on the desired tool.

At the risk of sounding egotistical, I will say this;
IF you dont get what I am saying than you probably dont work as fast and efficiant as me ( and others). Because it happens to EVERYONE al session long. Its just that if you are not used to flying around the session doing many fast edits, then you probably dont mind the countless wasted clicks and pauses in teh work flow.
But when you do work as fast as I do, this is a major hassle, and frustating design.

The reason I keep bitchin about it is that the solution is SO DAMN EASY TO IMPLEMENT!!!!!
Just give us the option to turn the toggleing tools OFF! ...Ill go and turn them on when I need the "specail" tools So SIMPLE!
Which will only be about 2% of the time as compared to the "real" tools.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:46 AM

Quote:
I've said it before and I mean it . .

I'll buy a 12 pack for the first Digi employee that claims responsibility for helping implement a "tool lockout" preference. I edit a lot, and pretty fast too. It's so easy to accidentally to hit an F key more than once in a row . . . and I do it too many times a day. I'm sure somebody loves "object select," but it and most of the other tool options are useless to me.

A twelve pack . . of any beer!

Eric

12 PACK!
Ill throw of 20 kegger!
Serious... I will pay $200 to anyone who can solve this issue. I am absolutely serious.
Reply with a solution to stop the alternate toggled options from happening and I will send you $200 cash US.

No Joke!!
Maybe others can pitch in to make the pot richer. There has to be a way to fix this design with some software.