Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2022, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Protools Cannot Communicate Error

I was having that issue like crazy. To the point I actually put my carbon up for sale. It may have been coincidental, but the problem went away when I installed Monterey.3beta.

Yea I know, I know, stay away from the OSX Beta program. I said why not, I’m going to be dealing with the transition issues for apple silicon for at least six months.

Anyway, I’m on 2021.12 PT and I’ve not lost connection in a month or so.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksticks4 View Post
OK that's good to know! Is there anything you can suggest I do in the meantime on my end? Are the issues related to anything else I may have access to changing? I desperately need to get back to my normal workflow.
OK after doing EVERY kind of isolation test possible I think I may have discovered the issue...Google Drive??? For some reason when the Google Drive app is not running the issue does not occur. Does this make any kind of sense?

My Website
Old 03-03-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
OK after doing EVERY kind of isolation test possible I think I may have discovered the issue...Google Drive??? For some reason when the Google Drive app is not running the issue does not occur. Does this make any kind of sense?
It's possible.
coreaudiod - the daemon that runs all of Mac Audio - behaves very strangely when an AVB device is connected. It looks very much like the CPU has to be kept out of low-power or sleep-states in order to service the process when an AVB device is connected. This is probably bad coding on Apple's part, as the keep-alive intervals for AVB audio are not really that short, but whatever it is, the processor is put under some weird stress by AVB. If Google Drive is also badly coded and is fouling up the AVB calls or putting the CPU into a undersirable sleep-state, then it's possible it's causing the problem. It does sound unlikely, but the proof is in the pudding.

BTW, your system details don't make sense - Mac Mini M1 with 32GB RAM? No such machine exists.........

Dominic
Old 03-04-2022, 06:07 AM

I have Google Drive running in the background, so I’m not sure that’s it, unless you have a completely different situation.
Old 03-12-2022, 12:41 PM

OK everyone so I have officially dialed in the issue to be...drum roll...Google Drive. I have no idea why, but I can immediately replicate the error by running the google drive file stream desktop app. When the app is closed, no more issues. Not sure if this is helpful but worth a shot if anyone else is still dealing with the issue.

My Website
Old 03-13-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
OK everyone so I have officially dialed in the issue to be...drum roll...Google Drive. I have no idea why, but I can immediately replicate the error by running the google drive file stream desktop app. When the app is closed, no more issues. Not sure if this is helpful but worth a shot if anyone else is still dealing with the issue.
Are you on this version of Google Drive?

Google Drive
Version: 55.0.3.0 (Apple Silicon)

I have an M1 Pro MBP, I run google drive in the background all the time, I'm not having these issues. I'm also on Monterey Beta Program, so I do have the most recent version.

I wonder why GD is not causing these issue for me? I was having the issues a lot at one point, but have not had an issue and a long time.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:36 AM

Update from my end: upgrading to Monterey has solved my issue it appears.

My Website
Old 03-31-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTalk View Post
I was having that issue like crazy. To the point I actually put my carbon up for sale. It may have been coincidental, but the problem went away when I installed Monterey.3beta.

Yea I know, I know, stay away from the OSX Beta program. I said why not, I’m going to be dealing with the transition issues for apple silicon for at least six months.

Anyway, I’m on 2021.12 PT and I’ve not lost connection in a month or so.
Just to clarify you still have the Carbon and updating to Monterey 12.3 solved the problem ?
The reason I ask is I am still on Catalina with My Carbon which works great other than an issue with launching a new session with a different sample rate (like say closing a 44.1 session and then trying to launch a 48k session) it will launch and playback fine track meters show signal the I/O looses the HW connection settings and so no sound coming back to Carbon.
Avid started a case on this a couple months back and I sent them the requested files etc. If I remember correctly they said they were able to reproduce the issue and passed it on to their engineering dept. ,,, but I have not heard anything since then ...

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-29-2022, 03:17 PM

I am having that issue that repeated every 30-2-40 mins, I just updated to MacOs 12.3.1. and fingers crossed I am more than an hr playing Pro tools and all is good...

also what I did is to change the AVB audio Entity Configuration many times nd put it back to 28x56 (44.1-96 kHz).

Hopefully this change the issue...will report later

I do not have Chrome installed...so that is not my issue...