Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Avid, I'm thinking that...

On an official level, I am a Loo-hoo-hoo-zzzeerrrrr.

Yes, got it - I've been slammed. I just sent you an email. Hit me up.

S..

Scofield...
Old 10-08-2010, 06:56 PM

I need LE, I do remote stuff all the time in LE. Actually, the Mbox Pro is looking sweet for this!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Create a new hyper-HD system with many times of the current TDM capabilities and to start this off well port your own VI's to the new TDM!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

"Realize the only plugin that needs to be active is the one you're currently adjusting...all others should be quickly, invisibly, seamlessly and automatically rendered into audio."

Am I the ONLY one in here who understands that the Henry Ford quote someone posted a few days ago applies, and is possible in the here and now...
"If I’d asked my customers what they wanted, they’d have said a faster horse."
Old 10-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
.all others should be quickly, invisibly, seamlessly and automatically rendered into audio."
Hows that work? Creates new audio every time you make an adjustment? How do you commit to it? Perhaps I just don't understand your meaning of "render". SB
Old 10-08-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
I need LE, I do remote stuff all the time in LE. Actually, the Mbox Pro is looking sweet for this!!!
Please don't get me wrong, I'm saying that Avid should get rid of the limitations in LE and therefore dropping LE and giving out the new Pro Tools HD Native version not only with the new Native PCIe card but with M-Boxes too! That would instantly raise the image of the software and the company.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
Hows that work? Creates new audio every time you make an adjustment? How do you commit to it? Perhaps I just don't understand your meaning of "render". SB
Yeah, I have to agree with you. I would like to be in control of this "option" myself. Not to mention the "freeze track" method using Quick Punch that some people are already using is kinda cool. It's a little clunky, but it works.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
There are many ways to skin a cat I'd be best if it's all under the hood and invisible and "looks" and acts like normal PT operation of today. Any yes, any .25mm tweak of a knob kills the existing audio track and reactivates the plug ins. As soon as the plug in knob stops moving, PT begins re rendering the audio. When the render is complete, PT re-routs the signal using the audio...all under the hood so everything looks normal, even all the plug-ins "look" active and normal.

It sounds like a lot of CPU demand, but at any given time, all other tracks are audio, and no other plugins are requiring dsp, so your CPU is at 5%-10% running audio tracks, mixing and summing and other overhead tasks.

All your computer has to really do ever is render the plug-ins into one track (maybe as many as four tracks if you're quickly jumping around plugin adjustments.)

The only "ultra" about this is that it would be beneficial to have an ultra efficient turbo rendering engine to render tracks in a second or two utilizing the cpu that's almost always at 90% free.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
There are many ways to skin a cat I'd be best if it's all under the hood and invisible and "looks" and acts like normal PT operation of today. Any yes, any .25mm tweak of a knob kills the existing audio track and reactivates the plug ins. As soon as the plug in knob stops moving, PT begins re rendering the audio. When the render is complete, PT re-routs the signal using the audio...all under the hood so everything looks normal, even all the plug-ins "look" active and normal.

It sounds like a lot of work, but at any given time, all other tracks are audio, and no other plugins are requiring dsp, so your CPU is at 5%-10% running audio tracks, mixing and summing and other overhead tasks.

All your computer has to really do ever is render the plug-ins into one track (maybe as many as four tracks if you're quickly jumping around plugin adjustments.)

The only "ultra" about this is that it would be beneficial to have an ultra efficient turbo rendering engine to render tracks in a second or two utilizing the cpu that's almost always at 90% free.
I fully get your idea, but for me, if it would be THAT or new hyper TDM system with real time TDM VI's I would go with the latter :) faster horse for me :)
Old 10-09-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
I fully get your idea, but for me, if it would be THAT or new hyper TDM system with real time TDM VI's I would go with the latter :) faster horse for me :)
Imagine a world where we're not tied to computer cards and monster sized computers to house them or hauling around external dsp boxes etc etc...and especially, buying new sets for $6k every three years. I would rather spend $3k on an ilok asset that enables highly intelligent software than $6k on clumsy, soon outdated hardware that does the same thing.

We could all become so much more portable. I write songs on a laptop. I would love to have 30 or 50 VIs active at once on a track in a fully RTAS laden mix...if they're all audio tracks...no problem. No more printing! No more track management chaos! make new track, name, rename, change outputs to bus, PRINT IN REAL TIME, deactivate old, hide. Then to tweak again, unhide, reactivate, mute or deactivate etc. Did I forget anything? Then PRINT AGAIN! All of this over and over maybe just to get through your session without CPU overload.

I get your angle too because that's what I do, but even if the new way performed better than the horse?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:57 AM

I think the thing you are asking if happening will make the computer sluggish at times and I absolutely cannot accept that. CLA admits here, that he cannot stand how Pro Tools will not react fast enough when you hit play and I fully understand what he means! http://mixonline.com/studios/profile...la/index1.html