Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2002, 02:00 PM

Default HD Plug In "CHIP SHARING"

First of all the following is all about using the new HD system at 48k, purely for the benefit of the supposed double DSP power increase.

The new HD system is supposed to have double the power of the mix system, but we now only have 9 chips instead of 12.

I understand that the HD chips are more powerful than the mix chips, however this is useless unless we are able to have different plug ins by different manufacturers able to share the same chip.

For instance......If I wanted to use only ONE Aural exciter, which took a third of a mix chip, so I suppose now it would probably only take about a fifth of a HD chip.....what would happen with the remaining five fifths of the chip?

If this remaining portion of the chip is not usable to other pluig ins by other manufacturers then this new HD system does not really double the power of a mix system as now we only have 9 chips instead of 12.

If different plug Ins by different manufacturers cannot share the same chip then I dont see the point in upgrading to the new HD system for users out there, who like myself, are only interested in the "supposed " DSP increase.

Another analogy would be......

With a Mix Plus system I could if I wanted to use 12 different plug ins by 12 different manufacturers.......one on each chip...

But if I bought just the HD core card which is supposed to be just as powerful as a mix plus system then I would only be able to run 9 different plug ins by 9 different manufacturers. GET IT????
This does not sound like double the power to me!!!

I am truly hoping that this is not the case as I'm sure that since Digi have improved the TDM buss in TDMII then I'm sure that they have included the ability to share different plugins by different manufacturers on the same chip.

Digi please answer this question, as there is no documentation of this.

Without an answer to this I cannot commit to the new HD system.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:29 PM

Default Re: HD Plug In "CHIP SHARING"

I believe your question warrants a response from Digi (I'm curious about those other "five fifths" of chip usage as well). However, even if the plug-in sharing scheme is similar to Mix systems' handling of it, I personally wouldn't let this alone stop me from upgrading to a new system. This is because the way I work, I am likely to use seveal instances of the same plugin anyway, in which case the addition power is being taken advantage of and not wasted.

A related question to which I would like to know the answer is, will high-end plugins such as Reverb One be re-written to take advantage of the faster chips? I haven't seen a conclusive answer to the question of one plugin using multiple chips (which would be sweet), but even with one chip, the extra ~25% of augmented reverb algorithm could make this plug that much closer to hardware boxes such as a PCM-91.

Andre
Old 01-19-2002, 05:04 PM

Too important not to Bump
Old 01-19-2002, 08:34 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rythym Stick:

The new HD system is supposed to have double the power of the mix system, but we now only have 9 chips instead of 12.

[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

a 2 card HD2 system has 18 chips, 9 chips per card.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:48 PM

I saw a list. Some of the better plugs still fill an entire chip. Reverb one for example. And from what I've been told, nothing has changed as far as chip sharing goes. The waves shell shares, and the digi stuff can share with their shell. But unless other companies get there act together there will be no chip sharing. Lexiverb has always taken up 1 whole chip on evry system. Twice as powerful is only a potential. The Mix system made it through its entire life span and some of the best plugs were NEVER re-coded to use the chips properly. That's years and years of no re-coding. You would think if the chip is twice as powerful you could now get 2 Reverb ones or maybe 2 lexiverbs . Right? Nope... Digi does it for their own so they are off the hook.. I think Digi really needs to re-think who they allow to be on their TDM partners list.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:04 PM

The chips are not powerful enough to run 2 reverb ones on one. Plain and simple. There might be some chip leftover at 44.1/48k but not at any higher smaple rate...the remaining dsp is then used for SRC.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:21 PM

If what you are saying is correct, then what Digi is saying is incorrect. Either way it isn't a true/accurate representation of the systems' potential.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:22 AM

Shawn B-

It is accurate to say the new cards are twice as powerful as the old ones, or at least it is as accurate as such a simplistic comparison can possibly be.

Yes, you only get one Reverb One per chip on the new system, but there are 9 chips on the new cards, all of which can run Reverb One, as opposed to the 3 chips that could run it on a Mix card. So in fact you can run 3 times as many Reverb Ones on the new cards.

Rythym Stick -

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
I am truly hoping that this is not the case as I'm sure that since Digi have improved the TDM buss in TDMII then I'm sure that they have included the ability to share different plugins by different manufacturers on the same chip.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We provided 3rd parties with the technology to do this more than a year ago. You will have to ask your favorite plugin manufacturers why they don't support it.
Old 01-20-2002, 12:31 AM

It is totally LAME that plug in manufacturers haven't implimented multishell II. It's a total fiasco if you ask me.

It's Lame, totally and I think it's time that plug in manufacturers were a little more active on this site to answer our questions about Multishell and other issues.

Again, It's Lame

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

PS, Frederick, does this mean that digi will impliment it furtherly with HD...I notice you say the Rev1 will take a whole chip, why?, it should take 80% or so of the chip. If digi are supporting MSII why can't you utilize the remainding 20%?. I would imagine you could do this with many of your plugs.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:28 AM

Rythym Stick -

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We provided 3rd parties with the technology to do this more than a year ago. You will have to ask your favorite plugin manufacturers why they don't support it.

--------------------

Frederick Umminger
Digidesign Plugin Engineer

----------------------------------------------------

Frederick, I believe that if Digi are promoting a plug in such as the Bombfactory ones (they are included in your HD3 system package) then these should be Multi shell as well.

Digi GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER on this one .

Plug in sharing should be a GIVEN with this new system!

Another work around would be ;
Why dont Digi " The inventer of MultiShell" just make it posible for us to use any remaining DSP power with Digi plugs . Even at its worst ,at least we would be able to utilise the remaining DSP with tonnes more digi plugs.