Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-06-2022, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Source-Nexus vs Source-Connect Standard ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Source Connect’s tech support is outstanding! I wrestled with it on my Windows system, got ghosted by some well-known supposed “audio guru” (which tells me he had no idea how to make it work with Pro Tools on Windows in the first place.) One e-mail to SC tech support, I got a call within minutes, and she had me up and running in no time. Culprit: besides Pro Tools not liking to share hardware, neither, it seems, does a UA Apollo 8. So, all my Source Connect goes both directions thru a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Works beautifully.
Source Connect Tech Support is NOT helpful... Super frustrating... Apparently I need to enable Port Forwarding on my router. Loooong call with Comcast/Xfinity, back to Source Connect, will NOT call unless I buy support... This is for the trial version. SUPER frustrating...
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-06-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Source Connect’s tech support is outstanding! I wrestled with it on my Windows system, got ghosted by some well-known supposed “audio guru” (which tells me he had no idea how to make it work with Pro Tools on Windows in the first place.) One e-mail to SC tech support, I got a call within minutes, and she had me up and running in no time. Culprit: besides Pro Tools not liking to share hardware, neither, it seems, does a UA Apollo 8. So, all my Source Connect goes both directions thru a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Works beautifully.
Did you get it to work using TWO interfaces? If so, I can try that I suppose.
Click for resume
Old 06-06-2022, 04:00 PM

Port Forwarding is done in your Router.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-06-2022, 05:19 PM

Got it to work!

I had to port forward (?) in the router, which I did with a LOT of help from my ISP tech support. I also had to email, phone connect, and finally screen share with Source Elements tech support. After trying MANY other things, he finally determined I had to allow "source-connect-loader" through the Windows Defender Firewall.

I gotta say ... getting this to work was VERY VERY non trivial. In my opinion, the Source-Connect (Windows) drivers, documentation, and website all need a LOT of improvement!!! None of this was explained anywhere, and even the SC tech (who was quite good) was not sure to how to make it work and sort of just tried different things out until we got it sorted out. It should not be this convoluted... Phew!
Click for resume
Old 06-07-2022, 10:11 AM

Ahhh ... the saga continues...

I can successfully connect to echo48mon and record back my throughput with the delay of course as expected. However, when attempting to connect to a MAC SC user, I receive his audio, but he does NOT receive my audio. SC tech support says he may not have his ports open, and may be using Source-Stream. Any ideas for me? Here's my latest reply from SE tech support:

Vincent replied
Jun 7, 11:24
Hello Gary,

A brief note:

Windows users do not currently have access to what's called Source-Stream, which is an alternative method of connection if ports are not working. But, Mac users have the option to select "use Source-Stream" which exclusively uses this feature. It's possible the party you're attempting to connect to has this feature enabled thus causing the connection issues you're having.

Regards,
Vincent
Click for resume
Old 06-07-2022, 10:48 AM

Both of you should try SonoBus.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-07-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Both of you should try SonoBus.
Thanks but for this job I need Source-Connect to work. I'll try again with SC tech support.
Click for resume
Old 06-10-2022, 07:18 AM

Still not working...

The messy details: I can connect to echo48mono and hear my return with delay as expected. At this point Source Connect tech support says I'm all good. However ... Mac users often use the Mac-only "Source-Stream" method for connection. This "feature" breaks cross-platform compatibility! According to SC tech support, cross-platform compatibility is available if the Mac user opens their router ports with port forwarding, rather than using Source-Stream. SC tech support actually told me (!) that each & every Mac user I cannot connect with needs to contact SC tech support (!) and "fix" their router ports - which is a non-trivial router-specific process. The first two Mac users I tried to connect with do NOT have their ports forwarded & have no desire to alter their current stable (albeit Mac-to-Mac only) workflow setup - nor do I feel they should have to. In my opinion, Source Connect has a serious cross-platform compatibility issue on their hands.

Question: Are ANY Windows Source-Connect users here able to connect to Mac users? Please explain. (Perhaps I'll ask over on the Post sub-forum.) Thanks!
Click for resume
Old 06-10-2022, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Thanks but for this job I need Source-Connect to work. I'll try again with SC tech support.
That is the best plan. I did the original course they offered for a while back and figured out a lot to fill in the gaps. It helped. They also have an advanced course either coming or do have it. Robert Marshall who created class with Rebekah Wilson are great and helped me get set up here. I have not had a reason for using that much as it's not really my thing here, but it's good to have! Just get on with them to help you! I will upgrade to the Pro Source connect if I need it, but most of my clients just use a place in LA. Then they send me the files when they cut it in to a specific show.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-10-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
...helped me get set up here...
Hi gives. See my post just above yours. Are you able to connect Windows to Mac? Thanks!
Click for resume