Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 03-04-2022, 11:25 AM

Default Want to make $100? Need help with EQ on a mix!

Hello Friends,

I've been struggling to mix a song for about a year now, and am ready to throw in the towel. It's close to a finished mix, but it's not quite right and I'm too close to it to be able to figure out how to best EQ the individual tracks.

It's a pulsing, R&B sexy song called "Love Your Body All Over", and I want the mix to be as crisp, clean and with each instrument identifiable...kind of like Sade. But i give up. Is there anyone out there who can work some EQ and mixing magic to make this mix pop? I'm willing to pay $100 to help me finish it.

Here is a link to the song:
https://youtu.be/AMzG3qbEzVY to see if this is something that's in your wheelhouse. If so, I can send you the complete ProTools file to download.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2022, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Want to make $100? Need help with EQ on a mix!

Before you farm it out, here are some suggestions:

#1-since the voice seems a little buried(and sometimes more volume is not the solution), treat the vocal with a touch of distortion like this: Add a send to a new mono AUX track. On the AUX track, insert EQ III and set a 6db Hi-Pass filter and run the frequency up to 2K(this may change according to taste). In the next insert, add Sansamp or the AIR Distortion plugin and pick a gentle overdrive preset. With the AUX fader all the way down, play the track and slide the fader up until the vocal feels like you want. Play around with the HPF frequency if it isn't putting a smile on your face yet

#2-Put a Pultec style EQ on the master and add a tough of 12KHz. If you don't have one, get the demo for either Waves Puigtech or MAAG EQ(from Plugin Alliance). These 2 plugins are untouched for adding "air" to a mix, but go easy. I would also put this same treatment on the vocal track, but at 8-10KHz

#3-you might also try routing all the instruments(not drums) thru an AUX track and adding an EQ to gently dip around 500Hz, to clear space for the vocal

I take PayPal

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-21-2022, 07:28 AM

Kick and snare need more low end.
Vocal timing is off in places but tonally good. Yep the volume is too low on the vocal. Performance other than a few timing issues is fine. Timing issues sounds like the vocalist had a poor headphone mix to hear the rhythm/pulse of the song.

Arrangement...hmmm. The same chords repeated over and over, regardless of the change of theme and solos is tiring. You need one maybe two more sections of different chords in my opinion. For example a bridge or key modulation.

It's actually a really good effort and not far from a final mix. Just some automation on different things here and there.

I don't want the work, just making suggestions, as I'm knee deep in an album effort right now. Good Luck.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Kick and snare need more low end.
Vocal timing is off in places but tonally good. Yep the volume is too low on the vocal. Performance other than a few timing issues is fine. Timing issues sounds like the vocalist had a poor headphone mix to hear the rhythm/pulse of the song.

Arrangement...hmmm. The same chords repeated over and over, regardless of the change of theme and solos is tiring. You need one maybe two more sections of different chords in my opinion. For example a bridge or key modulation.

It's actually a really good effort and not far from a final mix. Just some automation on different things here and there.

I don't want the work, just making suggestions, as I'm knee deep in an album effort right now. Good Luck.
Ditto, not a lot of dynamics in this vocal that you can push since it is all in the same midrange, which is singing thru the vocalists break maybe? I would just thing of it as 1. Vocals, 2 instruments in whatever order you want. i.e. Top down. That is the simplest way to describe the basic idea. The rest is your creativity and how you want it to be. Make sure you get the singe in the pocket a bit more.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS