Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2021, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatements

Blimey, that's a scare. So it looooks like it's just bad wording on Avid's part? Will wait for this to be straightened out before buying.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-04-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
What if a restaurant had a recipe for some kind of fancy dish and over the years they improved on that dish and made it way more tasty and delicious and part of that was because their customers helped them do so through their support and feedback. Let’s say one of those customers tried that dish within the first year and didn’t eat there for another four years. When they come back should they have to pay more for that new improved meal just because they weren’t the ones that helped improve it?

Avid’s business / renewal / extortion plan is garbage. And so are any attempts to try and justify it. They’re mob like. They do it because they can. You pay upfront for a product that isn’t even announced yet. If you don’t want to pay them for something that you’re not even sure you want because you don’t know what it will be, you get penalized for leaving. Their $500 reinstatement offer is a positive step in the right direction but I doubt they came up with it out of their own goodwill. They probably were getting bombarded with those tell us how we’re doing surveys and reading all their crappy reviews online and they’re doing damage control.
A completely bogus analogy and not even remotely related .. because to be "related" the customer would have to be able to eat that same dish over and over again at home, for free, for 4 years.. So yes (in the ridiculous analogy ) they should have to pay more, when they go back to restaurant and order the updated dish, and then go home and eat it over and over agin for free. Which is obviously not possible or remotely related, and thus completely bogus as an analogy . End of story

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-04-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Perpetual License Annual Subscription New Help !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMe View Post
Yesterday I followed the link to the 1-year upgrade and support plan for perpetual users. It is an offer to keep your perpetual and reinstate it. The offer is only for Dec 2021. So I bought it.
I'm not clear on your post So to help me clarify ,,,lets back up to the beginning

#1 before you took this new offer,,, You did not have a current perpetual license/s All your licenses were expired . Correct ?

The reason I ask is,, my license is current and this new offer is not in my account, So there is no "link to follow".

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-04-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I'm not clear on your post So to help me clarify ,,,lets back up to the beginning

#1 before you took this new offer,,, You did not have a current perpetual license/s All your licenses were expired . Correct ?

The reason I ask is,, my license is current and this new offer is not in my account, So there is no "link to follow".

I have it all sorted now. Yes my support plan had expired earlier in the year so even though it was veery confusing the thing I bought was a reinstatement.

The best way to see this is via the iLok account. I can also see why someone from support might think I have moved to subscription.

So what happened is my previous license has cross-graded to a subscription!!! BUT the subscription is for HEAT and the ALL Plugin Bundle. These items are now in my iLok as a subscription which, to be honest, I will not even use, I see no point in getting too attached to something that I potentially will not have in years time.

Now my actual perpetual license in the iLok states it has is active and starts on the 3rd dec and allows all versions of Pro Tools until Dec 2022.

That is perfectly clear and easy to understand unlike the Avid account information...so I am still Perpetual !!! perfect!

The problem is we are told to buy the "1-Year Upgrade and Support Plan" in Avid's own marketing about the offer. But that product does not even exist, it is actually called "Annual Upgrades + Support Plan". And it is also labelled "Move to Subscription" which is scary. And then your old license does say it cross graded to a subscription which is even more scary but then the perpetual still remains in tact.

I think Avid are using the subscription process to sell the reinstatement which is not very reassuring for people who want to avoid subscriptions. But it does work.

By the way, buying it from the Avid website does start it as soon as you pay for it. So if you need one for the future to use, get it from a reseller, they do have them as one contacted me knowing I wanted one yesterday.

Last edited by MeBeMe; 12-04-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I will look into this further tomorrow, but couldn't call it a day without at least dropping in here to assure you that you bought the right product... you have a perpetual license with a Software Updates + Support Plan (not a Subscription). Will follow up again ASAP!

Thanks for that, I think I have it sorted now. I looked in my iLok account and it is much clearer in there as to what is going on. I think it would be great in future if the name of the product we are asked to buy matches the name of the actual product for sale. We are asked to buy something with the wording "1-Year" but the actual product does not use that term. It would probably make everyones life easier if a reinstatement was actually called "Reinstate Perpetual Upgrade and Support Plan" then everyone would know what it is we are about to buy and Perpetual was not called "Perpetual Subscription" lol
Old 12-04-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Case View Post
I am current. I bought mine from audiodeluxe.com. I will cash it in at a later date
Thanks for taking the time to reply Tom.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
A completely bogus analogy and not even remotely related .. because to be "related" the customer would have to be able to eat that same dish over and over again at home, for free, for 4 years.. So yes (in the ridiculous analogy ) they should have to pay more, when they go back to restaurant and order the updated dish, and then go home and eat it over and over agin for free. Which is obviously not possible or remotely related, and thus completely bogus as an analogy . End of story
Yeah, it’s a crap analogy in many respects, but it holds in others. In what type of business are you asked to pay upfront for a product that you don’t know what it’s going to include? I stand by what I say about Avid’s extortion plan and your lame justification of it. I hope Avid is paying you. If not, you’re their dream customer: a willing mark and an unpaid shill. Again, their business plan is to make you pay upfront for a product they won’t give specifics on, and if you don’t wanna pay for an unknown product you get heavily penalized. It’s like when mafia goons walk into a store and force the owner to pay for protection from them. Your justification amounts to “well, if I have to do it then everybody else should too”.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 12-04-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Yeah, it’s a crap analogy in many respects, but it holds in others. In what type of business are you forced to pay upfront for a product that you don’t know what it’s going to include?
Well you were doin' ok with this part. A legitimate question if a bit naive. Adobe Creative Cloud annual subscriptions for one.... And Adobe does not offer perpetual licenses at all . Any commissioned project for another. But none of that really matters because the rest of your argument falls apart .

Quote:
I stand by what I say about Avid’s extortion plan and your lame justification of it. I hope Avid is paying you. If not, you’re their dream customer: a willing mark and an unpaid shill. Again, their business plan is to make you pay upfront for a product they won’t give specifics on, and if you don’t wanna pay for an unknown product you get heavily penalized. It’s like when mafia goons walk into a store and force the owner to pay for protection from them. Your justification amounts to “well, if I have to do it then everybody else should too”.
First: not liking Avids pricing or policy is completely legitimate, calling it "Extortion" is just silly emotional nonsense. It obviously does not meet the accepted criteria for actual extortion... And "like protection" money is another ludicrous analogy. Avid does not come to your studio and trash your system if you do no pay your annual renewal fee

Second and more important resorting to ad hominem attack always indicates a lack of substance in a persons position or argument.

Unfortunately "Because I don't like it, " is not a valid argument to not charge more to opt out and back in ..... Damn straight, if I am funding continued development then those who want to take advantage of new development after opting out, should definitely have to pony up.........

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-04-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMe View Post
I have it all sorted now. Yes my support plan had expired earlier in the year so even though it was veery confusing the thing I bought was a reinstatement.
Glad you have have that sorted

Quote:
Now my actual perpetual license in the iLok states it has is active and starts on the 3rd dec and allows all versions of Pro Tools until Dec 2022.

That is perfectly clear and easy to understand unlike the Avid account information...so I am still Perpetual !!! perfect!
Quote:
The problem is we are told to buy the "1-Year Upgrade and Support Plan" in Avid's own marketing about the offer. But that product does not even exist, it is actually called "Annual Upgrades + Support Plan". And it is also labelled "Move to Subscription" which is scary. And then your old license does say it cross graded to a subscription which is even more scary but then the perpetual still remains in tact.
I wonder if in your account My products page you are getting "upgrade" confused with "update" (I could be wrong but) while the offer to reinstate is called the "1-Year Upgrade and Support Plan"

Which apparently is not a "product" per. se. But a rather a "path" to upgrade a product (i. e. expired perpetual license) , because you are "upgrading" your expired perpetual license to be current, and be qualified to then be able to renew the " 1-Year Software Update and Support Plan" in the following years --- Which is how it should be labeled in your avid account, under My Products > Pro Tools > Perpetual Product ,,, in the upper right hand corner At least that is what is says in my account ?

Quote:
By the way, buying it from the Avid website does start it as soon as you pay for it. So if you need one for the future to use, get it from a reseller, they do have them as one contacted me knowing I wanted one yesterday.
Thats good to know

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-04-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Glad you have have that sorted

I wonder if in your account My products page you are getting "upgrade" confused with "update" (I could be wrong but) while the offer to reinstate is called the "1-Year Upgrade and Support Plan"

Which apparently is not a "product" per. se. But a rather a "path" to upgrade a product (i. e. expired perpetual license) , because you are "upgrading" your expired perpetual license to be current, and be qualified to then be able to renew the " 1-Year Software Update and Support Plan" in the following years --- Which is how it should be labeled in your avid account, under My Products > Pro Tools > Perpetual Product ,,, in the upper right hand corner At least that is what is says in my account ?

Thats good to know
For those unbelievers within our midsts lol

Here is a picture of the exact thing you have to buy and it does not say “1-Year” it says “Annual”. I would say it does not match Avid’s own explanation of what to purchase. And it does label it as “Move to Subscription” which is also unhelpful but I see why that would happen. They would have to get the development team to change the combo box labels and that may have taken a while to get actioned, whereas adding a new entry in a drop down is probably just a parameter change and then tie it to an existing sku.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5728EC51-1126-4E9A-8405-A77865ACAF0F.jpg (26.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by MeBeMe; 12-04-2021 at 05:48 PM.