Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Default Re: protools and solid state HD

i'm running a MUSHKIN CHRONOS 120GB SSD, READ/WRITE @ 500Mb/s +... insane system drive.. boot ups take 20 secs

also, just got a KINSTON SSDNOW 128Gb ssd {ver. 2!}, sequential read @ 320Mb/s & writes @ 220Mb/s.. i'm using this one for my projects. both tracking and mixing...

so far, no issues to speak of.

i keep my 2 matched 500GB 7200rpm WD drives for storage {both read/write at a mere 80Mb/s & thats not a misprint! }.. will never touch them again for actual work...

i'm extremely happy with my system... also its worth to note that if you run HDPT, turning on RAM CACHE makes it all easy as pie as well...

Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2crows View Post
i chatted w/ dell, they have my specs on file they recommended a Kingston 240 w/ the bundle ( brackets,adapter, install disk ect.) they wanted $250.00 +-
i found the newer model on amazon for $40.00 less even after shipping.
i will post my results after the install, might help someone.
thanks for everyone's input.
That's what I use with my Dell XPS. Works great as my main OS drive, no issues.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersd View Post
That's what I use with my Dell XPS. Works great as my main OS drive, no issues.
that's great news, i use a 710 for my work station, a little old but its quad core,
i guess the next thing to do is upgrade the ram.
thanks to you and bacchus40

Last edited by 2crows; 10-09-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM

]

Last edited by 2crows; 10-09-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: removed
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Bacchus40
am i reading your specs. right, you have all that in a laptop?

Last edited by 2crows; 10-09-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: re
Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2crows View Post
Bacchus40
am i reading your specs. right, you have all that in a laptop?
hugh? ahhh... nope.. not a laptop... i run a mid tower case, corsair 500r

though I did purchase the KINGSTON 128GB for my laptop.. at least it will eventually end up in there... i just needed an SSD for tracking some projects coming up.. i'll probably drop in a much faster Tracking SSD once prices drop at years end...

specs listed show my custom build.. based on ASUS lga2011 mobo & i7 3820 quad core...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
In theory, yes, but not really an issue with current SSDs.

The cost of SLC is not worth it (IMHO) It's only for failsafe or military apps, not a consumer product.

Virtually any SSD will be much more reliabale than traditional hard drives.

kasper
You risk much more data loss when a cell goes out on an mlc. The performance is also known to degrade over time and there are a limited amount of times you can write and rewrite a cell w an ssd which should be of concern, especially as an audio drive. Also ssd's write in blocks that require it to do rewrites quite a bit more than you think it is and also requires much more hd space for the same amount of data than a standard hd. Roughly 10 more gb for every 40-45 gb of actual data. There is an app called ssd life I believe that can assist in knowing what is going on w the drive. I have been watching them for a few years and just don't see them ready for more than an OS drive or a drive that little writing is being done to. They have had a pretty high failure rate since their initial release, but have got better. But be sure to get a drive than can use the "trim" function in W7 as it is supposed to extend the life by altering how windows handles organizing data and deleting junk data.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Using a couple of OCZ Vertex 256Gb SSDs here as system drives. All smiles so far - they were reasonably priced, easy to instal, plus they're super fast (compared to the spinning platter alternative...), cool and quiet.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
You risk much more data loss when a cell goes out on an mlc. The performance is also known to degrade over time and there are a limited amount of times you can write and rewrite a cell w an ssd which should be of concern, especially as an audio drive. Also ssd's write in blocks that require it to do rewrites quite a bit more than you think it is and also requires much more hd space for the same amount of data than a standard hd. Roughly 10 more gb for every 40-45 gb of actual data. There is an app called ssd life I believe that can assist in knowing what is going on w the drive. I have been watching them for a few years and just don't see them ready for more than an OS drive or a drive that little writing is being done to. They have had a pretty high failure rate since their initial release, but have got better. But be sure to get a drive than can use the "trim" function in W7 as it is supposed to extend the life by altering how windows handles organizing data and deleting junk data.
What's had a high failure rate? All SSDs ?

That's FUD.

Relegating it as your boot drive because it's not up to intensive write activity is bogus as well.
The OS drive will see far more activity than any audio drive.

kasper
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
What's had a high failure rate? All SSDs ?

That's FUD.

Relegating it as your boot drive because it's not up to intensive write activity is bogus as well.
The OS drive will see far more activity than any audio drive.

kasper
the early series of ssd's had lots of issues. Much of this was firmware and incompatibilities along w some complete junk in ssd models. It's still a rapidly changing and Improving technology.

Depending on your boot drive, sure. Mine is not online, not updated, restore functions shut off, typically never changed. Of course there is writing/rewriting going on and page file settings can greatly alter this as well. But we are talking the rewriting of a reletively small amount of mb's, very small in relation to what I do to my audio drives on a regular basis. Regardless, I could care less about my OS drives dying though, I have imaged backup drives ready to go. Audio drives are a different story. Backup backup backup!!

I did read a study where ssd's have a higher rate of failure in the first 3 years of use than an hdd, but after that the hdd rate of failure increases a lot.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10