Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 11:01 AM

Default MASTERING TIPS!!!!

can anyone give me some mastering tips? i have a digi002 with a g5 and i only have the basic pro tools compressor....
i am mixing rock and hiphop
Old 10-08-2004, 03:04 PM

Default Re: MASTERING TIPS!!!!

Quote:
can anyone give me some mastering tips? i have a digi002 with a g5 and i only have the basic pro tools compressor....
i am mixing rock and hiphop
You have the basics for capturing and arranging audio and midi performances.
If you expect to create competitive commercial works, you will now have to invest in the software to do this. For audio processing, you will need, at minimum, the Waves Platinum bundle which includes the standard in the industry L2 limiter and the new L3. Also inlcuded are the Linear phase EQ and multiband compressor. Not only do these plugins provide you with great processing power, they also give you a user interface that is lacking in the Digi Audiosuite bundle. You can try the Waves software for 14 days free to get a feel for it. You will also want to look into your sequencers for competitive synth effects.

Remember, Digi makes its money on hardware, but you do not get a pro-studio for a mere $2K. Although Digi's plugins are good,even better than many of the free LE bundles included, they are by no means enough to obtain professional results.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:06 AM

HI woodbeatz,

donīt give TOO much for that post above. I agree that the digirack plugs are quite insufficient, the Comp is awfull and the EQs unpredictable. I use them only to switch phase these days.

But you DON`T NEED Waves Platinum!!!!!

There are cheaper and better alternatives.

www.elementalaudio.com has professional Compressors and Linear Phase EQ for $250 in THE BUNDLE!!!

and the Sony Oxford Inflator is just under $300 and way better than L2.
and the Sony Oxford bundle is just $660 at www.sweetwater.com

and the great RTAS Bundle from www.prosoniq.net is only some $200 includes the Dynasone Multiband Comp.

If you like to stick to Waves than rather go for the Mastering Bundle, obviously.
But I have to say, I dislike Wavesī elitist behaviour more each day, and there are
lotīs of other plugs around that are cheaper, better and less cpu hungry.
I strongly advice you to read ALL of their customer policy.

so far MY OPINION on mastering tools.

for good info about how itīs done check this link:

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

If you can afford it let the mastering be done by a professional audio engineer but INSIST to let you watch him. You could learn more in a one hour session than in months of reading.

regs

PS: I just saw that URS has extended their $50 offer on the BLT EQ. THIS you should be trying for sure. Itīs not mastering but comes in handy and easy to sweeten up your sound!
www.ursplugins.com

Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 AM

I like T-Racks.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:13 AM

I am very interested in this as well. I compression usually all you need for home studio mastering? If so what compressors would suggest (both plug-in as well as rack, please)? Would it be safe to say you could create a master fader and run a compressor/limiter on that alone? Would you also want to compress individual tracks, such as drums and bass? What do you think of T-Racks?
Old 10-12-2004, 01:23 PM

Hi,

basically "mastering" is called the work on the FINAL sterao tracks. Everything before is mixing.
I strongly suggest to check "the project studio" link above and/or get some book from Bob Katz for more info.

IMHO T-Racks is unfit to do even semi-pro mastering. Personally I donīt like the sound of it at all
(too muddy, too much the wrong color for my needs and taste)

basically you need for mastering a linear phase EQ, an excellent reverb, a loudness tool and eventually a comp.

If you canīt afford $$$$ for hardware then rather stick to the plugs!
But you canīt get wrong with a RNC for $300. Great Tool!

Compression is a delicate topic and the best compression is the one NOT USED.
You always need to know why and how you want to apply compression.
You can do sounddesign with it, or use it to get more punch or...

As a general hint: do not change settings while playing. stop - adjust parameter - hit play...
When you do it during play, your ears are more likely to adapt to it as a kind of effect and you
canīt destinguish the changes. Besides you can find your desired settings faster when you adept
that skill.
See it like the typewriting skill. You are much faster and more accurate if you donīt watch your fingers.
And as Joe Meek inventor said "if it sounds right, it is." If you donīt know what you want
you donīt know how to achieve it. Listen to CDs you like and try to imitate and go from there.

This all reflects just my personal learnings and is neither complete nor the last words youīll ever hear.

so far

regs
Old 10-16-2004, 02:55 PM

Somewhat off-subject but still relevant - multi-band compression is BY FAR - NOT standard issue in most professional mastering rooms. Most will have one available - but use it only when needed. Thinking that a multi-band compressor is a must for EVERY song you master is a falicy propogated by Waves and the like to sell you more crap. If you were to poll the top mastering folks - you would find most use general limiting and perhaps frequency-dependent compression as needed, and go to full multi-band compression only as either a last resort or use it VERY VERY lightly. For the most part - I find if you NEED multi-band compression - what you REALLY need is a proper re-mix.

Multi-band limiters can be VERY deceptive to the ear - especially in a less than ideal monitoring environment. In un-experienced hands - you can make your mixes sound very very boring & lifeless, very very fast. Can you make them loud as all He**? Of course - but that's really NOT the point of proper mastering, which when it comes to overall level - should make your mixes as loud as they CAN be, without sacrificing the listening experience - NOT as loud electrically possible.

In today's world - you CAN achieve pretty nice results "in the box" without the benefit of good analog mastering - but most PT mastering sounds OK to relatively horrid due in part to what I've discussed above.

Dump the multi-band comp, focus on what serves both the song and the album and keep in mind that if you have a decent mix - less is almost ALWAYS more when in comes to mastering. After all - EVERY stereo I've ever owned has had a volume knob!

--S
310.598.6038 tel 5685 fax
http://www.StephenMarshMastering.com
Old 10-16-2004, 03:35 PM

Sorry guy, the only way to do it right is to take it to a mastering engineer. I can get some slamin mixes with my rig but in no way belive its done till I send it off to be mastered. I am a firm beleiver that who ever mixed a project should not master it. If you are serious about your project, pay and have it mastered. My $.02

Digi02/mbox.shuttle an35s,AMD 3200+, 2x512mb geil pc3200, maxtor 60,120 Gigs, Ati Rad7000 dual svga.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I like T-Racks.
sad, because it's just full of crap