Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Default These Eucon CRASHES are driving me nuts!!

Eucon 3.0 kept making my PC crash (See http://www.steinberg.net/forums/view...?f=194&t=59197 ). So I updated to 3.1.2. It worked ONCE! I had a trouble free session and shut down Nuendo and the MC in reverse order. The next day I turned on the MC then turned on Nuendo and got that freakin' error message about Eucontrol not working and needed to close. As expected, what followed was what has now become the "textbook nightmare!"

The MC no longer sees Nuendo. As soon as I check anything on the Eucontrol, my PC crashes. I then have to re-boot in safe mode so that I can uninstall Eucontrol. Then I can re-start the PC normally. Then I have to re-install 3.1.2, re-start the PC (9 out of 10 times it will let me, the 10th time it'll crash!) and then re-install Eucontrol back into N6 via the device mgr.

I have updated every driver on Win7, cleaned my registry, had the ADK techs sweep my PC for anything that might cause a problem and nothing seems to give me more than ONE session with the MC. After that, I'm back to Nuendo working just fine, as does the rest of the PC without Eucon/MC! What the hell is going on?!!? This is ridiculous!!
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Default Re: These Eucon CRASHES are driving me nuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
What the hell is going on?!!? This is ridiculous!!
Yea... EuControl certainly has issues, and so does Cubendo!!!

As you already know...I don't use Nuendo, but I do use Cubase 7.5.20!

I have managed to achieve a flakey, but predictable workaround while using EuControl and Cubase!

First off, let me suggest that you fill in your signature with the hardware, software, operating system, and super important... the current versions you are using!!!

It is super hard to help you troubleshoot problems if I have to keep asking!!

Now... I have found that EuControl version 3.01 to be the most stable! I'll explain more about that in a minute!

My procedure for starting my system is this:

-Turn on my audio interface = FireFace UFX.
-Turn on my outboard FX units, and MIDI controller.
-Start my computer.
-After I login, I wait for the computer to fully load EuControl (auto-start).
-Open EuControl.

-While watching the "Surfaces" tab, I start each one of my Artist Series Control surfaces " one by one" making sure to allow enough time for the surface to be recognized by EuControl, and also for it to be added to the "My Surfaces" column

-Once all of the surfaces have been added to the "My Surfaces" column, I minimize EuControl to the "System tray".

-Now I start Cubase...

-After I'm done with the session, I save and close the project first... then start turning off the control surfaces "one by one", and then lastly exit Cubase!

Cubase 7.5.20 always crashes on exit when the EuCon adapter is activated within Cubase, but EuControl does not if I follow the sequence I outlined above when closing the session!

I'm currently using EuControl version 3.1.2, which requires:
MC Control firmware ver. 1.3.5
MC Mix firmware ver. 1.5.2
MC Transport firmware ver. 1.1.6

Please make sure when you switch versions of EuControl that you also update your firmware for each control surface as well!

Now more on the reason why I believe EuControl ver. 3.0.1 is the most stable for me!

When I'm using EuControl 3.0.1... all of my control surfaces get added to the My Surfaces column with no issues!

But, when I'm using 3.1.2... the MC Mix shows that it is added to the "My Surfaces" column, and also shows that it is still *available* in the "All Surfaces" column!

If I highlight and remove the Mix from the " My Surfaces" column, and then highlight the Mix in the "All Surfaces" column and then "ADD" it back the "My Surfaces" column, then it works as expected!

What this means is I spend more time making sure that the surfaces are properly recognized before I start Cubase!

What this also means is that I have to make a choice of whether I want the advantages that 3.1.2 has to offer, but with more annoying bugs, or stay with 3.0.1 with less annoying bugs and none of the upgrades 3.1.2 has!

Cubase also has issues as well! While using Cubase version 7.5.10 and EuControl ver. 3.0.1, I almost never got the Cubase crash on exit issue.. note that I said "almost never"!

With Cubase 7.5.20 It always crashes on exit with the EuCon adapter activated... no matter which version of EuControl I use!

So there are also trade-offs using different versions of Cubase and how EuControl and Cubase react with each other!

It is a mine field my friend, and not for the faint of heart! If you want to use these surfaces... you'll have to learn the quirks, and then work around them!

Al
Old 05-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Interesting... I use win 7/64 / Cubase 7.5.2 and the surfaces work perfectly.... Eucon v3.1.2.

PC has its own hub to which all controllers are attached... DHCP only... No statics... No other devices attached to hub. Firewall is off.

1. Turn on Transport - Wait 5 seconds
2. Turn on Control - Wait 5 seconds
3. Turn on Mix
4. Boot PC

All surfaces are found, Cubase loads, Eucon loads... Projects work...

I did a complete uninstall of Eucon 3.1.1 (Unsigned driver issue was a problem) and a fresh install of 3.1.2 and no problems since.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 PM

Forgot to ask... Did you do the firmware update that comes with 3.1.2?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:56 PM

I've got it the MC plugged into the router. I used this video from you tube to show me how to set it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhCWgcjt7L0 I don't have a mix, so I just omitted any instructions regarding that. What am I missing here?

Here's my rigg.

Nuendo 1 - 6 | Windows 7 Pro (SP 1) | Intel i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 Quad Core | 12GB of RAM |RME HDSPe RayDAT | PNY ? 9500GT 1GB PCIe Dual Head DVI Video Card | Euphonix MC Control | Xkeys | UAD-1 Platinum | Isotope RX | Melodyne 3.2 | Voxengo Plugins | B4 II | EZ Drummer | Drumagog 4 | Virtual Guitarist 2 | Korg, Roland, Kurzweil Synths | Apogee Big Ben | Panasonic DA-7 desk | Mackie 824 & Equator D5 monitors | VS-1680 & 880 HDR's |
Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyplayerG View Post
What am I missing here?
@ KeyplayerG - Did you update the firmware as required?

@ cpechet1 - I tried your approach by turning on the control surfaces before booting the computer, and it is as you say... no more problem with EuControl being confused about whether the surfaces are available, or added to the "My Surfaces" column!

Thanks for that!

Now if I can only find a solution for Cubase crashing on exit ??? But that is another story, and requires a new thread!

@ KeyplayerG - One thing I do when I de-install EuControl is also to de-install Bonjour from the Programs and Features panel in Windows!

I also delete a couple of "Euphonix" folders left over after the EuControl de-install.

One is located at: C\users\*user*\appdata\roaming\Euphonix

The other is at: Program Files \ Euphonix

Since EuControl will install new folders and reinstall Bonjour, there is less of a chance for a conflict from a previous installed version of EuControl!

Al
Old 05-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Mopro - You might want to reinstall Euconn using the 7.5.2 installer... That solved the crash on exist problem for me. (I think it was as the 7.5.2 installer but it may have been the original 7.5 installer... Can't remember now...)
Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpechet1 View Post
Mopro - You might want to reinstall Euconn using the 7.5.2 installer...
I don't understand what you mean?

The EuCon adapter I'm currently using is version: 6.5.1.5 built Feb. 22, 2013.

This is the version that was installed after using the Cubase 7.5 standalone installer, and then updating to 7.5.10, and then also updating to 7.5.20

Are you using a different version of the EuCon adapter?

Is there a way to install a different version of the adapter in Cubase 7.5.20?

Thanks for your input!
Al
Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 AM

Yup... that's the right version... I was suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling just Cubase's Eucon...
Old 05-11-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpechet1 View Post
I was suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling just Cubase's Eucon...
How do you do that?

I didn't know I had a choice!
Al