Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-13-2022, 09:06 AM

Default Dead end asking for help

Hi Guys. Happy to be a part of this community.

I´m asking for help due to something I can´t solve myself in the middle of a big production for Japan. I was happily running Logic 10.2.1 with my protools 192 I/O interface, and also pro tools 10.3.9 HD accel for vocal editing. Mr Smart@ss ( me ) wanted to check out protools 11 due to off line bounce, and....boom..couldn´t try it.-..back to logic, no sound, no audio signal into my 192, and ...Protools 10 won´t start, just immediately shuts down.

I have

1.Erased loads of preferences according to info, and muliple post read..

2.re installed protools, but no uninstaller of Pro tools works on my system for some reason so I uninstalled it with cleanmymac.
3. Avid CoreAudio Manager registers 1 client when turning on LOGIC, but, no sound and testing the 192, it´s all good.

4. Took out midi drivers too, no go.

5. re installed the ilok license manager, no go..

I would be truly grateful if I could get some pro tips from you guys out there.

Thanks!!

Erik Eatraxx
Old 07-13-2022, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Dead end asking for help

Accell cards don't work past Pro Tools 10
You need to reinstall the HD drivers that came with ProTools 10
Old 07-14-2022, 01:52 AM

I reinstalled pro tools 10 various times. Worked a full day as per solutions. Still have the same problem. Protools shuts down immediately and logic won´t sound through 192 I/O.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:33 AM

If you have system backups use them now. This is a business you need to have a good backup/recovery plan.

If not...

You might want to be contacting Avid support or at least get that process started if this is critical. Mmm but thinking of it... I'm hoping they still provide support for TDM customers... not sure if they do.

Does Digitest run? If any errors what exact ones?

What is showing up as Pro Tools starts up? Do you see parts of the splash screen?

You should not need to ever run cleanmymac and doing that may have caused more harm.

What exactly do you mean by "no uninstaller of Pro tools works on my system" what uninstaller are you running and exact errors do you get? As best I can recall back to Pro Tools 10, the only uninstaller you might need is for the HD drivers, I can't recall if that's a separate installer/unisntaller.

Try running this terminal command with the interface connected.

$ kextstat | grep -i digi

and post the results back here.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:45 PM

Thanks. The protools uninstaller doesn´t work. Tried various.

I also get this on start up. ( terminal ) Seems the DigiDal.kext won´t load.
I re installed pro tools several times. Does not replace it.

Appreciated!

/Library/StartupItems/DigidesignLoader/DigidesignLoader ; exit;
Requesting load of /System/Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext.
/System/Library/Extensions/DigiDal.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not privileged; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
logout

[Proceso completado]
Old 07-14-2022, 01:55 PM

Actions made.

1. Installed PT 11 ( dead stupid ) Thought it would work with my Pci cards. Uninstalled after.
2. Re installed Protools. Logic stopped sounding through my 192 I/O - Pro Tools 10 crashes immediately
3.Cleaned out all and any file from Digidesign/Avid.Reinstalled again.No go.
4. DIGIDESIGN loader does not load.
5. DigiDal.kext does not load in extensions, me thinking a re install would substitute such extension.

Checked the 192 I/O and my mac detects it. I can choose it in logic but No sound. Can´t access it in Protools since it does not start.

In production for Netflix Japan with nice tight deadline, and nothing works..

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:00 PM

Missing info.

$ kextstat | grep -i digi - command not found

Digitest - not compatible with the system.

I will install Pro tools 10.3.9 and see if it works with that.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatraxx View Post
Missing info.

$ kextstat | grep -i digi - command not found

Digitest - not compatible with the system.

I will install Pro tools 10.3.9 and see if it works with that.

Thanks
Since you had PT11 installed, it might be best to start with a clean slate. Ideal would be to restore from a point before PT11 was installed. Next option would be to delete anything labelled digidesign, move ALL plugins out of the Plugins folder(keep so you can put them back in later) and delete anything labelled Avid(to get rid of anything that is too new).

I don't see where you mention what OS you have or if you changed that(if you DID make a change, roll it back. If you DIDN'T make a change, are you sure you have compatible versions of OS and Pro Tools).

Updating ANYTHING in the middle of a project is a bad idea. Having said that, if you have a license for PT 11, you might beg/borrow/steal/buy another interface(USB or Firewire, whatever you have connections for) so you can hopefully finish open projects. Its much easier to troubleshoot when you're not under the gun

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-14-2022, 03:44 PM

I cannot follow all what you are doing. But I think its time to give up on this and do a clean Mac OS X reinstall.

Does your account have admin privileges?

Lets start over with what exact version of OS X are you running? Your profile says Mavericks, but Pro Tools 10 is not officially supported on Mavericks. It was supported up to Snow Leopard. Did you ever successfully install Pro Tools 10 on Mavericks or was it installed on a previous version and you upgraded OS X in-situ to Mavericks? (Asking because I think I recall some provlems were doing that upgrade that might have been needed to get Pro Tools 10 to install on some OS X versions, I not sure). Otherwise you could read through DUC and look for hints there were any tricks for getting a Pro Tools 10 TDM system installed and running on Mavericks. But I suspect more and more you should just do a clean OS X install.

Even if you were running OK before you seem to have lots of issues here, seemingly running on an unsupported OS, maybe did an in situ OS X upgrades, installed 11 on an unsupported config, ran cleanmymac, and don't have a backup etc. All reasons I suspect it's well past time you do a full clean OS X install of a *officially supported* operating system. But even if you want to keep troubleshooting you should be preparing for some drastic action like this, like pick up a spare SATA SSD from a local computer store or order one overnight delivery, if you don't have space on your current drives (and I would *not* erase/destroy the current boot drive get a new one or use a spare partition, and best to get a new spare SATA SSD and do the clean OS X install there there rather than risk messing stuff up by making finger mistakes... especially as it seems you don't have backups.

Work out what OS X installer you would use, if you don't have an installer copy one get it now. Edit: here is the mountain lion installer: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2076?locale=en_US

And start downloading now all the plugin installers you will need. Ideally you already have those saved somewhere with all the other installers you need. Check the versions you are downloading are compatible with your OS version (and Pro Tools 10) remembering that any AAX plugins need to support AAX-32 for Pro Tools 10 not the AAX-64 that is common now.

I also suggested borrowing/buying a CoreAudio interface... another thing you could be doing in parallel. Heck if you are only mixing and have to meet a deadline you might be able to just use Build-In Output. At least that's another good test to see if it's only the HD drivers that are messed up. Does Logic work with Built-In Output. Even if Pro Tools will not start you may be able to get it to start with Built-In Output, including if necessary installing a supported version or Pro Tools, like if 10 won't work then putting 11 back on your computer, (possibly removing the TDM cards if weird things are still happening) and selecting Built-In Output as the playback engine.

---

Not that it's going to help now.. but /usr/sbin should be in your shell PATH. That's where kextstat lives. After you get setup and going again you should make sure /usr/sbin is in the command path, it should certainly be in any user who has admin privileges. Your PATH environment variable should start something like: PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin ...

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-14-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:20 AM

Thanks so much!
I had Protools 10 running for a year. No problems in Maverick.

All problems came after installing PT11.

I undid and cleaned out all digidesign/avid, made clean install of protools 10 again, exactly the same as before my " mistake ".

Now I´m convinced that the problem is the digidesign loader at startup + DigiDal.kext. Logic is running again with 192 I/O. Seems protools 1o HD installer does NOT install a new DigiDal.kext since it seems it was corrupt, so I have to find a way to install a new one.

I solved a 100 protools problems in my past but this one has been quite difficult. Hoping to find a way to install the right extension.

Appreciate so much your help!!