Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2021, 05:22 AM

Default Sound Card

I am currently trying to get an up to date spec for a Pro-Tools Windows 10 PC.
Firstly, what kind of sound card would I need? I will be using an external sound module eg a focusrite scarlett (or something similar), but what sound card would I need.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Sound Card

Onboard sound (typically a Realtek) should be just fine for non-Pro Tools audio.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:47 AM

Thanks - so would e.g a soundblaster card be ok - in other words Pro Tools doesn't use the PC's sound card(?). But what do you need, then, in order for the Focusrite external module to be connected to Pro Tools? Do you have to have a special card - or is it just an ordinary USB port?

Also - is there some software which has to be installed and which runs on the PC to make the Focusrite module work?
Old 01-27-2021, 10:08 AM

Have you checked the Focusrite website?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
Thanks - so would e.g a soundblaster card be ok - in other words Pro Tools doesn't use the PC's sound card(?). But what do you need, then, in order for the Focusrite external module to be connected to Pro Tools? Do you have to have a special card - or is it just an ordinary USB port?

Also - is there some software which has to be installed and which runs on the PC to make the Focusrite module work?
Focusrite does make USB interfaces, so one of those will connect to any USB2 or USB3 port. If the motherboard has an on-board sound card(Realtek, as mentioned is common), then you don't need a SoundBlaster, but if you WANT to buy one for Windows audio, that's fine(but I would not waste the money). The idea is to let Windows have its own sound card, so that Pro Tools will have exclusive control of your recording interface.

You will need to install the Windows ASIO driver for whatever interface you get(drivers are provided by the maker of the interface). When you first install this driver, Windows will usually grab it as the default playback device, and you will need to reset that back to the on-board(or Soundblaster) sound card. Sometimes, a Windows update will change some settings(without telling you), so remember to check the Windows sound settings if you have any problems. Another setting that sometimes gets changed is turning off the Power Management feature on all USB ports(a tweak you need to perform).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave