Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-07-2003, 09:00 PM

Default Logic Control users?

anyone using Logic Control? I've used MotorMixes with good results, but wanted a bit more capability, so I bought a Mackie Control (I also use DP) on the understanding that a Mackie rep indicated to my salesguy that PT support was pretty much done. Well, today I got email from Mackie support saying there are "no firm plans" for PT support. By contrast, Emagic seems to be taking the bull by the horns, and has released an OMS driver that does HUI and MackieControl emulation.

At any rate, any experiences with LC and PT appreciated. I can exchange the Mackie for a Logic unit and then might be able to use it for everything. Then again, who knows what happens in OS X...
Old 01-07-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Logic Control users?

been using Logic Control w/ PTHD since before the OMS driver came out and confirm its more stable w/ the OMS driver.

One thing that does *not* work, however, is running Logic (as a midi app) on the same computer. All sorts of anomolies crop up, like PT playback speed changes when moving the LC's faders (!) and Logic midi-thru notes being played when depressing the LC's buttons (!)

Maybe its a moot point, anyway, since running Logic (midi) and PTHD on the same Mac (867 dual) made for slow screen redraws, PT starting playback after unacceptable delay when in slave sync, etc....

finally had to take Logic off the Mac and put it back on a wintel box (i.e., stuck w/ Logic 5.1 tho it doesn't matter 'cause midi only)

Anyone else have better experiences....?
Old 01-10-2003, 02:22 AM

In the last two days I have moved (?) from tdm with dp 3.11 (for midi) with a HUI to Logic 5.5/TDM (not running Pro Tools this time) and the Logic Control.

Nightmare! The hui effortlessly changes itself depending whether DP or PT is the front most app. Not so with the new system.

In the new system, all I have is crashes and the recognition of the Logic control is flaky - without wanting to panic, as I'm sure there's much to debug, I'm ready to say - so long and thanks for all the fish - and go back to the HUI. (Ah well its only $ :-[ ).

However, there must be a lot of satisfied Logic control users with TDM based systems - I hope - but maybe there's not....maybe the logic control is simply for native logic??? For example it will not perform at all with DP in its emulation mode (USING THE LATEST OMS drivers). Also, if you've used other surfaces, one is acutely aware that the faders are noisy and the unit is cheap-feeling compared to the more expensive HUI (as one might expect I guess for their relative prices).

Enough rambling - my advice, FWIW, is: to try before buy
Old 01-10-2003, 07:03 PM

ya... to be expected.

the cool thing about logic control (for me) is that you can adjust setting in logic (or hopefully pro tools if it's the only app open) even if Logic is not the front app. I like that... you don't.

That being true, I can't imagine that going between apps would work unless you toggle off the preference in Logic (there must be one) to let it be controlled even if it is not the front app. I can't imagine that would be too smooth as it would have to switch between OMS and Logic's native driver.

I tried a Hui and I tried Logic control. To me the LC is smoother, way smoother. I hated the HUI when I tried it... stiff. LC is more portable too.

to each his or her own.

teddybut
Old 01-10-2003, 07:12 PM

I expect LC to behave with Logic, but was there good functionality with PT?