Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-02-2022, 06:58 AM

Default Nudge Partial of a Clip

I found some info on page 687 of the 2020.10 PT Ref manual and basically the same on page 691 of the 2022.4 Ref manual.

On these ref pages is described "Nudging the Contents of a Clip". In reading the outlined process, I'm interpreting that "some" of the contents of a clip can be nudged leaving the original clip's boundaries intact. It seems that this can't be accomplished as written since it directs you to use the time grabber tool. I work almost exclusively in slip mode, and using the time grabber tool selects the whole clip. Is it possible that their description of the process omits the identification of the edit mode to be used? Is there a mode that allows the time grabber tool to act the same as the select tool? Finally, is it even possible to move a part of a clip in place without creating new boundaries that enclose the section you want to nudge?

PT2022.4, Mac OS Catalina, C|24, Avid HDIO 16x16, Avid HD Native TB
Old 05-02-2022, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Nudge Partial of a Clip

"Nudge contents of a clip" means the clip boundaries stay the same but the audio file inside the clip can be slid backwards and forwards within those boundaries.

All of the contents move within the clip boundaries. Not a partial amount.
And if your clip is the same length as your audio file, there is nothing to nudge (clip boundaries = audio file boundaries)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:25 PM

What BScout said^^^. Now to accomplish your goal, the logical option is to separate the part of the clip you want to nudge. Another option is to use Elastic Audio and lock the markers on either side of the area you want to nudge and use EA to move the desired transients. If neither of these options cover your needs, describe in detail exactly what you want to do as somebody may have the perfect solution

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-02-2022, 01:14 PM

What you are describing can fir sure be done. I forget the key command to do it though. I have done it but it is not as cool or fast as studio one where to can use a grabber tool to manually move it. You must use keystrokes to move it. Much faster to separate as clip.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:47 PM

On a Mac it's CTRL and + or - on the numeric keypad. Nudges the contents within the clip boundaries by the nudge amount.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:21 AM

Thanks all for the responses. Sorry for not being clearer in regard to what the manual implies. If you look at the graphic on page 691 of the 2022.4 manual, it appears that it's showing a single clip with 2 segments shown in light blue and one in dark blue. I was assuming that all 3 segs are all part of a single clip since no region boundaries are shown. It's definitely misleading.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to move (nudge) the dark blue segment without having to create new clip boundaries, which is apparently not possible without using TCE. The technique I've used is to highlight the part I want to move, separate into new clip and then use "Nudge" (numeric +/-). The client wants an exact alignment of bass guitar and kick drum to a manually created click track that has no bar/beat reference. I'll find the point in the created click, note its time ( if greater precision is desired, I'll note the sample number) and then find the difference and use that as the nudge value. As you can well imagine, there could be hundreds of realignments required. It's easy enough to do it this way but tedious and time consuming.

I do recall a way to identify an alignment point and use a "snap to" command (can't remember what the process was), but I think it worked on a whole clip.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:55 AM

Sync points

Command + ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simohvbPG0c

Last edited by BScout; 05-04-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:01 AM

Thanks, BScout, for the reminder! This is probably the best way to eliminate steps and not have to do the math!!
Old 05-03-2022, 08:18 AM

Unless I'm misunderstanding the task at hand, seems to me your best bet would be to build a tempo map from the click, separate out the regions you're interested in (using beat detective, strip silence, or manually with tab to transient), and quantize clips to grid. And no, you can't move just part of the audio within a single clip (though you *can* move all the audio within clip boundaries without moving the boundaries) - you need to separate it.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-04-2022, 05:34 AM

Thanks Rich for your suggestions. I agree that building a tempo map would be the right thing to do. I'll work on convincing the client to agree as well. Actually, that was my first suggestion to him.