Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 01-31-2015, 01:59 PM

Default Is there a way to store Tempo with audio in PT 11

Just curious, as the title suggests, is there a way to store tempo information within an audio file inside PT. Usually I will find the tempo inside Sony Acid Pro, then save the song or loop as an Acid Loop. Then I can drag it into PT and it will convert to the Tempo I'm using. It would save me some steps if I were able to find the songs tempo in PT (which I can do), but then save it so that I can utilize it in later compositions, or change on the fly. Clear as mud? I hope that's a good enough explanation.
Thanks
-Neil
Old 01-31-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to store Tempo with audio in PT 11

I believe tempo is stored in metadata once the file is analyzed for elastic audio in the workspace. I could be wrong, though
Old 01-31-2015, 03:19 PM

For what purpose? When I export audio to go somewhere else(likely to another DAW), I name the audio files with the bpm as part of the name(like songname115bpm). Or, if its a boatload of audio files, I add a readme text file to the folder with important info like bpm, sample rate, bit depth and any special instructions.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-31-2015, 03:35 PM

I am creating loops to use in some cheer/dance music that I make for my daughters. It's nice to be able to drag in loops/songs that follow the tempo automatically. I will create all the songs on a list as Acid loops ahead of time normally. Then I just drag them into the template session that I create. BPM and markers etc set up ahead of time. This way they are also available to future sessions as well. It would be nice to do that all inside PT.
-Neil
Old 02-01-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
I am creating loops to use in some cheer/dance music that I make for my daughters. It's nice to be able to drag in loops/songs that follow the tempo automatically. I will create all the songs on a list as Acid loops ahead of time normally. Then I just drag them into the template session that I create. BPM and markers etc set up ahead of time. This way they are also available to future sessions as well. It would be nice to do that all inside PT.
-Neil
Any particular reason you're not doing it all in Acid? I know it's not PT (having used Acid for years on my old Windows machine) but should be capable of doing what you want.

QAPLA!
Old 02-01-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Any particular reason you're not doing it all in Acid? I know it's not PT (having used Acid for years on my old Windows machine) but should be capable of doing what you want.

Actually, I just know PT that much better. It's far more capable for editing and I'm more confident working in it. Although I do a lot of remixing for my kids, my main recording experience is with rock bands, both live and collaborative stuff with my friends. Outside of beat matching, I just don't find Acid to be much for editing. Using Acid loops, PT is fantastic for building loop based music, which also leaves you all the tools for live instruments as well. Beat matching and creating loops in PT is fairly easy, it's just too bad I couldn't save the loop as an Acid file or similar to cut out one step.
-neil
Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Actually, I just know PT that much better. It's far more capable for editing and I'm more confident working in it. Although I do a lot of remixing for my kids, my main recording experience is with rock bands, both live and collaborative stuff with my friends. Outside of beat matching, I just don't find Acid to be much for editing. Using Acid loops, PT is fantastic for building loop based music, which also leaves you all the tools for live instruments as well. Beat matching and creating loops in PT is fairly easy, it's just too bad I couldn't save the loop as an Acid file or similar to cut out one step.
-neil
Okay - no problem there. I haven't really seen anything else that will build an Acid-type file but Acid. I'm sure there has to be other s/w out there to do that. And agreed on editing in Acid - I was never good at that and I don't see how people use Acid as their primary daw s/w. I'd rather go back to writing machine language programs for a Z80 processor.

QAPLA!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Just curious, as the title suggests, is there a way to store tempo information within an audio file inside PT. Usually I will find the tempo inside Sony Acid Pro, then save the song or loop as an Acid Loop. Then I can drag it into PT and it will convert to the Tempo I'm using. It would save me some steps if I were able to find the songs tempo in PT (which I can do), but then save it so that I can utilize it in later compositions, or change on the fly. Clear as mud? I hope that's a good enough explanation.
Thanks
-Neil
2 easy workarounds if the song has a single tempo put the tempo in the track name OR export a midi track with the song tempo map then import into the other DAW
Old 02-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanks guys, all good options. I guess when needed I'll continue making Acid loops first. Although I can rewire Acid into PT, it doesn't work quite the way I like it to.
-Neil