Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Default Re: 30" screen (or larger) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I just toggle between the two screens, no big deal. An entire edit screen on a 30" monitor is pretty darn usable. I have never seen the need to have both the edit and mixer pages displayed at the same time. The time it takes to do the keystroke that toggles back and forth is miniscule in proportion of inconvenience compared to having the amount of viewable space that becomes available when the entire edit window is on the one screen.
And if I had the tall and wide, I may change my workflow -- putting more content (i/o, sends, inserts) into the edit window, and just call it a day.

Saw a good deal on the apple 30" on craigslist. If I can't get an iPhone today, maybe I can get a big screen.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM

I suggest Viewsonic 28 inch resolution 1920 x 1200 pixels .
Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 PM

I guess the main factor for deciding how big the display should be is how close it will be from your viewing position. I have Dell 22" that was placed between the nearfield monitors over the meters of the C24 controler. Above and little behind I have a Sharp 32" full HD TV screen for video display and few plugins.
I had terrible problems with my eyes because 22" display was too far from my eyes and I couldn't buy bigger because it would block the view of 32" above it and generaly would take too much space. I didn't want to move up 32" Sharp for it would be too much and I couldn't put 22" Dell to the right or left of the C24 because I would constantly move my head left and right from edit window to video screen.
Best solution for me was buying an LCD monitor arm for my 22" display. It helped my eyes so much and it's probably best investment I made in my studio. Now when I'm editing I can bring LCD just in front of me above the faders, and when I'm mixing I move it to the right of the C24 controler.

One more thing.. When I was buying my Sharp LCD two years ago, saleman warned me that many 1080p TV's don't support Full HD resolution when is sent from computer grafic card through DVI, so I tried few Sony 1080p models and they couln't display 1920X1200 from computer. Even my Sharp doesn't support it officially, but it works. Maybe today models are all able...
Old 06-24-2010, 05:42 PM

The 27" Apple LED displays were to be announced this month, in June. Looks like it didn't happen...

Rumours were also going around a while back that Apple would release a 32" along with the 27", and keep the 24". That would be VERY nice.

Sig
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzele View Post
When I was buying my Sharp LCD two years ago, saleman warned me that many 1080p TV's don't support Full HD resolution when is sent from computer grafic card through DVI, so I tried few Sony 1080p models and they couln't display 1920X1200 from computer. Even my Sharp doesn't support it officially, but it works. Maybe today models are all able...
Anyone else see this issue? Can anyone suggest some models that work great and ones to stay away from? I'd like a display anywhere in the range of 26" to 37". I currently have a Gateway and an Acer (21" and 20" ) and the Acer that was half the cost is much clearer - very crisp - just too small!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM

I've tried quite a few setups and monitors. I find what is the best is two monitors. The greater the resolution, the better. Any monitor I have ever used have multiple resolutions. Sure, they look great in hi res, but the new ones work great when you LESSEN the resolution to have LARGE images on the screen. Right now I have 2 HP monitors on my PT rig, 1920 x 1200. I think that is my LEAST resolution I would consider for any modern workstation at this point. Without it I just can't function. Your milage might vary. So, two x 1920 x 1200 monitors, beats any one monitor of any resolution for me.
That being said, I also own the new Dell monitor (2,560x1,440) on 27", and a Gateway XHD3000 30-inch 2560x1600 monitor. I use them with my Mac Laptop, which also has 1920 x 1200, amongst others, mostly for sequencing. I have also used the 30" Mac model. I think the Mac monitors are stunning, but lack input choices. The Gateway has been a great monitor, but now has problems... Lots are being reported as dying at this point. The Dell is ok, I just prefer the Apple displays.
My advice? Get one great 1920x1200, and add a second monitor. If that second one is a TV, then ok, make it the size you feel comfortable with. If it is a 1920x 1200 monitor, great! If that second one is 2560x1600, even better! If you have two 2560x 1600 make sure you have a computer that can drive them!
All my two monitor setups have been a lot more useful than one large monitor. You can always switch one to tv while editing!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 PM

Just found this - looks pretty nice and under $450

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347351,00.asp

2048 x 1152

I'm also wondering how a Mac Pro handles 2 different monitor resolutions using mirror mode. Does it scale on the smaller resolution display, or does that display have scroll bars for it's viewing area - In other words , you can see everything the same on the smaller resolution, but you'd have to scroll a few inches in either direction to view it all.

I experienced this quite a few years ago on a PC w/ a Matrox card using 1 1680x1024 display and a 1280x1024 display and it was kind of annoying.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of two monitors? The way it shows up for me is that what you end up with is a smaller working space no matter which screen you are on, and you can't only work on one screen at a time. Why would you want to restrict the page, the edit window, that we all work the most on to a smaller size? It is way better, at least over here, to work on a 30" edit window rather than a 19 or so one and toggle back and forth between the two windows when necessary. Also, there's plenty of space left over to have other windows, such as Melodyne, other editors or plugins open when you have the extra real-estate available on a bigger screen. There is also far less up and down scrolling required with the extra vertical space.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM

I started with 2 monitors because I liked the 2880 total width. 3-5 years ago, a big screen would've been financially impossible for me.

If I could keep the 2880 pixel width (or a little more) and just make everything bigger that would be nice. I get more nearsighted every day.

As far as how 2 screens help. It helps me compartmentalize. And when clients are looking over my shoulder, it helps me to say "look at the right monitor with the counter" or something like that.

To each his own I guess.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Is it correct that all these 30" displays require special vid cards?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.