Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-16-2003, 11:27 PM

Default 8meg drive buffer=higher track count??

Just wondering.
My system drive took a dump on me a few weeks ago, and I had to use one of my audio drives to get back working. I am going to have to replace it in the near future.
Does the 8 meg buffer result in higher track counts?
Allen, Roy, guys, everybody, anybody??? Lets hear your thoughts.
I noticed Fry's Electronics had a WD 200gig with 8 meg buffer on sale over the weekend($150 after rebate [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ), but I couldn't get to Dallas in time [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Mitch
Old 04-17-2003, 10:56 PM

Default Re: 8meg drive buffer=higher track count??

bump
Old 04-17-2003, 11:25 PM

Nitronick,
I recently had to switch my System drive with another drive that had previously been used for audio storage, and my system is as fast and quiet as ever. I notice no difference in performance.(I do get occasional errors, but I'm convinced they're not drive-related). So, you should be fine with your former Audio drive as your Sys drive for a while.
On the 8mb cache drives, I hear they're more efficient, but I honestly don't know whether they would improve track count. Someone else can explain better than me why they're more efficient in general though. (DaBasstard can if he sees this).
I would suggest getting an 8mb cache drive when you do buy .(can't hurt... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

There was a thread a few weeks back with some killer sales on Western Digital drives. I myself got a 60GB (with 8mb cache) for $60 after rebate, but some of the others were 120GB drives...very good buys.
I have a feeling they're still in that ball park price range. I'll post that thread if I find it...... -Roy
Old 04-17-2003, 11:32 PM

Here you go... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...=016159#000000