Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-24-2022, 05:15 PM

Default Perpetual and Plugins

I have an opportunity to grab a new perpetual license from a national retailer here in Canada….
I believe I have my head wrapped around the idea that my new perpetual license would become Pro Tools Studio when I register it….awesome.
I get foggier when I start reading the different threads on the included plugins.
The info from Avid all reads to some degree or another “…included in your subscription “
I’m guessing the listed plugins would be still available to me during the 1st year of my license since it would be under the 1 year support/updates.
If I wasn’t to continue with that after a year trying to see what I’d lose…ie Heat?
I didn’t want to clutter anyone else’s thread and apologize if I missed this particular point in one of those.

My old perpetual stalled at 12.4 and dabbled with another DAW for a few years.
I’m just trying out the 30 day trial and really like all the new updates and overall vibe.Really feels like it’s time to get back in the PT pool
Old 05-25-2022, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Perpetual and Plugins

If this was a question, it is difficult at first sight to see what is included. Pro Tools comes with plenty of plugins that will always be there in a perpetual license. However, Heat and the Avid Complete Bundle are tied to the yearly renewable support fee.

There are ways to buy some individual licenses for those plugins if you prefer not to get stranded at a later date. The rules at Avid are something of a moving target if you plan on being able to recall whole mixes in the future.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
If this was a question, it is difficult at first sight to see what is included. Pro Tools comes with plenty of plugins that will always be there in a perpetual license. However, Heat and the Avid Complete Bundle are tied to the yearly renewable support fee.

There are ways to buy some individual licenses for those plugins if you prefer not to get stranded at a later date. The rules at Avid are something of a moving target if you plan on being able to recall whole mixes in the future.
Thanks….that confirms what I thought I was reading.The Complete Bundle looks great but it’s Heat that I’ve just discovered on the 30 day trial….it’s an addictive little bugger.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:45 AM

I personally have two perpetual licenses. I probably would have had one but I was a bit early before Avid softened and allowed re-instatement at a sensible price again. Seems they have become hard nosed again.

Anyhow, I don't really bother with the subscription plugins. I may well not subscribe to the updates for perpetuity so I don't want plugins on Sessions going AWOL. I have plenty of plugins I own so why use ones I don't?

Heat is good. I bought a license at the right price a couple of years back. Still expensive but well worth having in the toolkit.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 05-25-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio66 View Post
I have an opportunity to grab a new perpetual license from a national retailer here in Canada….
I believe I have my head wrapped around the idea that my new perpetual license would become Pro Tools Studio when I register it….awesome.
I get foggier when I start reading the different threads on the included plugins.
The info from Avid all reads to some degree or another “…included in your subscription “
I’m guessing the listed plugins would be still available to me during the 1st year of my license since it would be under the 1 year support/updates.
If I wasn’t to continue with that after a year trying to see what I’d lose…ie Heat?
I didn’t want to clutter anyone else’s thread and apologize if I missed this particular point in one of those.

My old perpetual stalled at 12.4 and dabbled with another DAW for a few years.
I’m just trying out the 30 day trial and really like all the new updates and overall vibe.Really feels like it’s time to get back in the PT pool
If you already have a perp license for PT 12.4, you only need to buy a "Get Current" product from Avid or an authorized reseller. It retails for about ½ of what a new perp license costs. Both come with a one year update and support plan.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
If you already have a perp license for PT 12.4, you only need to buy a "Get Current" product from Avid or an authorized reseller. It retails for about ½ of what a new perp license costs. Both come with a one year update and support plan.
I’ve considered that as well….and just grab a copy of heat.
Odd question maybe but if a fella did the get current and didn’t renew the update/support would he revert back to 12.4 or stay 2023._ ?
Old 05-25-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Odd question maybe but if a fella did the get current and didn’t renew the update/support would he revert back to 12.4 or stay 2023._ ?
The update and support plan contains the Avid plugin bundle, Heat and other things. It is basically an annual subscription for future PT Studio updates, etc. If you let that lapse you no longer have access to Heat.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
If you "got current" and then didn't renew at the end of the new 1 year support and upgrade plan, you would then freeze your perpetual license at what ever version was released before your new support and upgrade plan ended; i.e. any 2023.x that was released during your active support plan.up to the date your plan ends. You should also be able to use any version back to 12.6.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone….all very helpful!!