How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Complete Production Tool Kit - Pre Sales Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
Don't know the answer to this, so perhaps someone can confirm, but would the HD10 demo not give an idea of how CPTK would perform on your machine?
Latency when I'm recording is one big thing I'm trying to reduce but also would like to improve overall performance.

Just a regular Pro Tools 10 demo won't allow me to see how the disk cache feature will help on my system with all my plugins and stuff since regular Pro Tools 10 doesn't have the disk cache feature.

I just ordered a new PC with a CPU about 2x faster than my current PC so I am going to start with that. If I still have problems then I'll reconsider the CPTK.

Someone at Avid did tell me I can use my 64 bit plugins with the CPTK to utalize more RAM so I still will keep that in consideration when deciding if I should get the CPTK.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert99 View Post
Just a regular Pro Tools 10 demo won't allow me to see how the disk cache feature will help on my system with all my plugins and stuff since regular Pro Tools 10 doesn't have the disk cache feature.
Indeed.... But HD10 does.

Quote:
Someone at Avid did tell me I can use my 64 bit plugins with the CPTK to utalize more RAM
I'm afraid this is not correct. AAX plugins will, in future releases of PT, be 64bit. But at the moment only AU and VST plugins are 64 bit.

CPTK will not change anything regarding the plugins which can be used in PT
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Hey guys,

Not trying to hijack the thread, but have any of you used the Complete Production Toolkit on a Windows computer and worked in surround sessions.

If you have, what were your experiences and issues(if any)? How much ram and what kind of processors does your pc have?

I am in a bit of a dilemma, see I either need to convince my superiors to fork over $10,000 for a brand new HDX system (on my current mac pro), or "settle" for an absolutely decked out windows pc with PT10 and a complete production toolkit.

I will be working mainly on short video game trailers that will be done in 5.1 and stereo, thus the need for either HDX or the CPTK for surround.

The CPTK option will save money, no doubt (because I can get a new Windows computer for free through work), but I would hate for my company to spend a good amount of money and then not have my own native system with CPTK be able to handle a surround session.

To give you guys an idea, my surround sessions would probably only need about 40 stereo/mono audio tracks, a few VCA's, a few 5.1 stem and monitor tracks, and a main 5.1 master.

All views and opinions are extremely appreciated!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Can't answer the last question, but to the op. I think you can get a demo of HD10. There is only one software installer for pro tools these days. It's what licenses are on your ilok, and if you have HD hardware, that determines what "version" of the software you get when you start pro tools. So request a HD10 demo license and see. As long as the license they send you is a HD license will be getting PT10+CPTK functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid this is not correct. AAX plugins will, in future releases of PT, be 64bit. But at the moment only AU and VST plugins are 64 bit.

CPTK will not change anything regarding the plugins which can be used in PT
Sorry I didn't write that clearly, I don't mean a 64 bit plugin, I meant I can allow my 32 bit plugin to access all the RAM on my computer. TOM@METRO and someone else said I could use a 32 bit plugin and it will be able to use all my RAM not limited by the 32 bit RAM limit, this is because disk cache engine runs outside Pro Tools.

They mentioned it in #83 of this page.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309375&page=9
Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
Can't answer the last question, but to the op. I think you can get a demo of HD10. There is only one software installer for pro tools these days. It's what licenses are on your ilok, and if you have HD hardware, that determines what "version" of the software you get when you start pro tools. So request a HD10 demo license and see. As long as the license they send you is a HD license will be getting PT10+CPTK functionality.
Thanks I'll give that a try.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM

I think a demo would be handy. I'd like to see what benefits disk cache really brings other than fixing the disk access bugs ProTools has. As far as allowing me to access a RAID system - really? $2k for that? Is it 1990 or something?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Sorry I didn't write that clearly, I don't mean a 64 bit plugin, I meant I can allow my 32 bit plugin to access all the RAM on my computer. TOM@METRO and someone else said I could use a 32 bit plugin and it will be able to use all my RAM not limited by the 32 bit RAM limit, this is because disk cache engine runs outside Pro Tools.
Nope.

You're still limited to the 4 GB theoretical limit, and 2.7GB actual limit for PT plugins, and program.

There are workarounds for this, but not related to CPTK.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Nope.

You're still limited to the 4 GB theoretical limit, and 2.7GB actual limit for PT plugins, and program.

There are workarounds for this, but not related to CPTK.
Wooh ok good thing you told me this cause I would have been pissed if I spent $2000 and found out I couldn't utilize more RAM for my plugins. I tried Vienna to bridge to my plugins but it sucked up to much CPU power.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 PM

Charazzard,

Why don't you talk to your superiors about getting an HD Native system, which would be right in between those two options?