Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Default Complete Production Tool Kit - Pre Sales Questions

Hi I have some questions on the Complete Production Tool Kit that aren't clear to me.

1) Is there is a trial for the Complete Production Tool Kit I can play around with on my computer to make sure it works ok and I like it before I spend $2000 on it?

2) Will my m-audio hardware work on the Complete Production Tool Kit.

3) I currently have Pro Tools 9, do I need to upgrade to Pro tools 10 to get all the Pro Tools 10 features with the Complete Production Tool Kit or will the Toolkit automatically take me to Pro Tools 10?

4) Is the Complete Production Tool Kit upgradeable? I noticed they seem to be on version 2 and I don't see an upgrade from version 1 so I am concerned there is poor upgrade support for this software. Does this mean there is no upgrades for this so everytime I want to upgrade the Complete Production Tool Kit I have to buy the whole thing over again?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Complete Production Tool Kit - Pre Sales Questions

4) v1 license opens v2

3) CPTK on 9 is not equal to 10 w/o CPTK

2) don't know

1) don't think so, CPTK make plain Native function like HD so if you have used an HD rig before you should have an idea what CPTK can do for you

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM

1) I'm pretty sure there IS NOT a demo version.

2) I'm using the CPTK with Steinberg hardware, so I'm pretty sure it'll work with your M-Audio gear. It basically seems to be an unlock code, for all intents and purposes, that unlocks functionality already present in Pro-Tools. At least that's how it feels to me. There are a couple extras like the Nyrink plugin, etc.

3) CPTK and PT are two separate licenses, so in order to get the functionality of PT 10, you need to upgrade to 10. CPTK allows for surround mixing, VCA groups, advanced automation, and extra tracks, among other things.

4) Regarding "upgrades," it seems that when Avid releases a version that requires upgrading they offer at least a window of opportunity to upgrade. Having said that, since it largely feels like it simply unlocks code that's already there, there isn't that much to "UPGRADE," if you get my drift. As long as it stays licensed with each upgrade of ProTools, then you're in good shape.

5) I couldn't work without it. It basically gives you the feature set of HD, without having to invest in the proprietary hardware. It definitely seems like a lot of money, but the ability to use Disk Cache alone made it worth it for me. As well as the surround capabilities, which is what I really bought it for.

Chris
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM

CPTK was introduced with PT8. It came with a bunch of additional plugins.

When PT9 came out, they changed it to version 2, dropped most of the included plugins, and added more features to it, partly because they added more features to Protools in PT9.

Those who already owned the license for CPTK 1, did not have to pay anything. Their license essentially functioned as CPTK2, unlocking the additional features in PT9, and now in PT10.

The CPTK functions will work with any 3rd party interface, because Protools works with any third party interface, and all the CPTK does is unlock more features that are already built into the software.

By using CPTK, you are running the same features as the HD software, minus the specific features of HD that rely on the processing of the HD hardware.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM

Thanks for all your feedback. In regards to the demo, it's the disc cache feature I am most curious to try, I just wanna make sure I benefit from it enough. But I guess I'll have to think about it and try to imagine when it can help.

All your responses are helpfull and I'll have to ponder this more if I should upgrade or not.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conleec View Post
5) I couldn't work without it. It basically gives you the feature set of HD, without having to invest in the proprietary hardware. It definitely seems like a lot of money, but the ability to use Disk Cache alone made it worth it for me. As well as the surround capabilities, which is what I really bought it for.

I have one question about the disk cache feature. Does that allow you to lower the H/W buffer size in the "playback engine" menu, so that i'ts all the way down to 64? Where without disk cache you couldn't get that low? Or does it not help that?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM

It doesn't help with that. That's still dependent on processing power.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It doesn't help with that. That's still dependent on processing power.
Ok thanks, that's good to know as I debate between getting the CPTK or a new computer. This is where a demo would have came in handy but I'll figure it out.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert99 View Post
I have one question about the disk cache feature. Does that allow you to lower the H/W buffer size in the "playback engine" menu, so that i'ts all the way down to 64? Where without disk cache you couldn't get that low? Or does it not help that?

Thanks
I'm doing sound for picture, so the disk cache is tremendously valuable, as it allows me to designate tons of RAM for playback, allowing for higher track counts and seemingly plugin counts, too. I don't mean more than the software will allow, obviously, but it seems you can use more of the goodies before you start running into system resource issues.

Also, because of my needs, I haven't really brought my H/W buffer down below 2048 or so (if memory serves), because I'm not doing any recording where latency becomes an issue, and I don't care if it takes a split second longer to start playback. My needs dictate greater performance, with less emphasis on latency, etc. Obviously, others' mileage will vary in that regard.

Chris
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert99 View Post
Ok thanks, that's good to know as I debate between getting the CPTK or a new computer. This is where a demo would have came in handy but I'll figure it out.
Don't know the answer to this, so perhaps someone can confirm, but would the HD10 demo not give an idea of how CPTK would perform on your machine?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe