Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-23-2003, 03:29 PM

Default 002 a/d converters vs. Apogee/lucid

Considering adding some Lucid or Apogee 2 ch. a/d converters - MiniMe or 9624 - to my modest Mbox setup

Question: Has anyone compared these to the converters in the digi 002?

If the difference is subtle (i.e. not a noticeable difference) I might as well just fork out the cash for a 002 rack.

I know people will say that the Apogees and Lucids are better - I'm sure they are - but is it *worth* $700 - $1,000 over the 002 converters?

Anyone care to do a head to head test?!

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:59 PM

Default Re: 002 a/d converters vs. Apogee/lucid

The converters in the Digi001/Digi002 aren't even close. This is not meant as a knock towards Digi but let's face it, the LE systems aren't designed to be of the same sonic level as their HD interfaces such as the 192. With the ADAT i/o, you do have the ability to upgrade and replace your inputs and outputs in a multi-channel solution. I've always been and always will be an Apogee fan. Nothing against Lucid, they make a good product... but I strongly feel Apogee is the better choice out there on several levels. Remember it's more than the converter, after all this is merely a chip that is re-sampling audio. You're dealing with Clock, Power Supplies, the Analog Section, etc. Apogee is going to be shipping the new Rosetta800 which is a product I have been begging for for a LONG time. This is 8-in and 8-out for $2,995 retail. Is this expensive? Yes... is it worth it? YES. In the pro-world of DAW systems, this is nothing. This is dirt-cheap... do you want a pro-level converter system?

You're asking about 2-ch units... the MiniMe is phenominal in this price-point. You're getting not only an A/D that is superior, but you're getting a better master clock. You're also getting 2-ch of pristine mic-pres. In StudioA @ Sweetwater, we have a pair of Apogee AD16's and a pair of Apogee DA16's for a total of 32-ins and 32-outs into a ProToolsHD system. I'm using the 192I/O in Studio B.... either way, these converters are worth the expense paid for the leve of sound they produce. In the case of the Digi001/Digi002/Mbox... you're buying a hardware solution that allows you to get into the world of the ProTools environment at a price-point un-heard of 5 years ago. The converters are meant to be clean and give you the ability to make a good clean sound. If you want to get a high-end sound, you need to look at the front-end. While this starts with your mic-pres, it all has to run through an analog to digital conversion system.

I personally sell a lot of Rosetta's and MiniMe's to my clients. They range from DigiLE and TDM users to Roland VS2480's to Motu users, etc. I have YET TO HAVE A SINGLE CLIENT NOT BE BLOWN AWAY BY IT.... NOT ONE. You should find a friend or studio that has one to let you try out in your own setup. Here's what you do. You record for a couple of days using NOTHING but inputs on the Apogee. Then start recording without it on another project.... WARNING, don't do this unless you're ready to buy it because when you hear the difference... you can't be without it.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:24 PM

I agree with Brad about the Apogee stuff.... and I'm really happy about the Rosetta 800. As a Rosetta owner, I have noticed some very significant improvements in my recordings - well worth the cost. I've become more confident in the price I charge and about telling people they'll get a very professional sound when they work with me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2003, 12:14 AM

Quick question - how would you connect the Rosetta 800 to a 002?

The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad S. Dali
Old 05-25-2003, 12:22 AM

Yeah joe, when I first got the 002 and hooked it up, the first thing I noticed was the difference between the 001's converters and the 002's. Then I broke da bank and got Apogee converters and WOW....it was like someone took cotton balls outta my ears!!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2003, 04:39 AM

One,

Simple....ADAT lightpipe. This is an optical format that is 8-ch of audio, which is one BIG reason why I've been asking for an 8-in/8-out unit.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:01 PM

Hello

I hear some of you speak about the Rosetta 800,
Does anyone compare it with an ad8000-se?is there a difference,
I 've heard the ad8000-se and consider the sound really smooth,somtimes too smooth,
Old 06-16-2003, 03:15 PM

I recently have been itching to increase the sound quality of my rig. The problem I have is I don't really do that much analog to digital recording, I use Reason, and Korg OASYS mostly. These are all lightpiped into the 001, so I don't really see the need for the A/D right now.

BUT

I do know that the D/A (for monitoring) IS HORRIBLE.

SO my question is....

Would the Benchmarhk DAC, or another d/a be able to benefit me with the tighter clock and better D/A?

ANd if so, which one is the best for me Brad?

P.S. I make Deep house music , all electronic stuff.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:20 PM

Yes Brad, we know you sell a lot of Apogee's - this forum seems to be very useful for that . Maybe I should try - " Check out the Metric Halo ULN2. Awesome converters, and great mic pre's.... " How's that for a sales pitch, or should I say thinly veiled ad, I mean advice, or is it an "opinion".
BTW, I'm not having a go, just a laugh. ( I thought there were supposed to be no commercial posts here... uh huh?)

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 06-17-2003, 01:56 AM

Brad , do u know if i'll be able to use/connect multiple Rosetta800's w/the future firewire option (straight to mac) ?
thanks
John 3:16