How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2022, 10:10 AM

Default Pro Tools Studio 22.5, Apollo x8 and Monterey 12.4

Hi everybody,
I started a new recording project yesterday after updating the macOS to 12.4 and ProTools to 22.5.
I recorded a test mono track; when playing it back, the audio was speeded up like it was the wrong sample rate (Donald Duck effect).
The original sample rate was 96KHz; I tested all the other sample rates (44.1, 48, 192). The outcome was exactly the same.
The audio file played back wrong also in another DAW and RX 8 Audio editor.
I reset the card, uninstalled the UAD software (10.10), and then reinstalled it. No way to have the correct playback speed.
As the last resource, I recorded in Ableton Live 10.1.4 @96KHz. The Playback was perfect!
Did anyone experience something like that? I assume at this point that the issue is with ProTools, and my Apollo is not faulty.
Thanks for any feedback,
Antonino
Old 06-24-2022, 11:47 AM

Default Re: ProTools Studio 22.5, Apollo x8 and Monterey 12.4

The issue is likely you are doing something wrong. Almost every one of these playing at "wrong speed" problems turn out to be user mistakes, so focus on looking at what you are doing.

What exact sample rate is the recording at? (set to that rate it sounds proper), that canb clue you in to what is going wrong.

You likely have some other app setting a different clock rate on the UAD, or possibly an external wordclock changing rates.

How is the UAD clocked?

Reboot the mac and make sure the UAD is not being used by any apps of the operating system.

While you are recording and playing back what does the UAD hardware (not Pro Tools) say it's sample rate is? does this change?
Old 06-24-2022, 01:16 PM

Hi, check to see that your DAW is set to the Universal Audio output. I had a similar experience with another DAW. When I checked the computer audio setup it was to a different output and that output was set to 44.1K.

Take care...

MacBook Pro Max 64GB ram 2TB SSD, 8TB & 4TB External SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3, Pro Tools Carbon, Apollo 8 Quad Black Lion Mod, UAD Octo, Avid S3, Avid Dock
Old 06-24-2022, 01:25 PM

Thank you very much, Darryl; I will answer you in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The issue is likely you are doing something wrong. Almost every one of these playing at "wrong speed" problems turn out to be user mistakes, so focus on looking at what you are doing.

What exact sample rate is the recording at? (set to that rate it sounds proper), that canb clue you in to what is going wrong.

It was 96; then, I tried making new sessions @44.1, 48, and 192.

You likely have some other app setting a different clock rate on the UAD, or possibly an external wordclock changing rates.

I suspected that, but I didn't find one. I also uninstalled Zoom Audio Device, which usually messes with sample rates.

How is the UAD clocked?

internal

Reboot the mac and make sure the UAD is not being used by any apps of the operating system.

I did it many, many times.

While you are recording and playing back what does the UAD hardware (not Pro Tools) say it's sample rate is? Does this change?

the sample rate is stable and reads the same as the ProTools Session
My last test was opening ProTools and Ableton Live at the same time.
I created two new sessions for the two DAW at the same sample rate (96).
I recorded first in ProTools, but the playback was wrong. Immediately after, I recorded in Live, and the playback was correct. I imported the audio file recorded with ProTools in Live, but the playback was wrong.
I imported the audio file recorded with Live in ProTools, and the playback was right.

Quite a nightmare...
Old 06-24-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlsize View Post
Hi, check to see that your DAW is set to the Universal Audio output. I had a similar experience with another DAW. When I checked the computer audio setup it was to a different output and that output was set to 44.1K.

Take care...
Thank you Earl! that could be possible but where do I find this "Universal Audio output" setting? do you mean the "Sound setting" in the System preferences?
Old 06-24-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emj_antonin View Post
Thank you very much, Darryl; I will answer you in the thread.

My last test was opening ProTools and Ableton Live at the same time.
I created two new sessions for the two DAW at the same sample rate (96).
I recorded first in ProTools, but the playback was wrong. Immediately after, I recorded in Live, and the playback was correct. I imported the audio file recorded with ProTools in Live, but the playback was wrong.
I imported the audio file recorded with Live in ProTools, and the playback was right.

Quite a nightmare...
Oh darn, just keep looking for stuff and checking what you are doing...

Make sure Pro Tools is not accidently using an aggregate device as the playback engine. e.g. the I/O might all look OK and even work, but actually check what the playback engine is set to each time. Mabe even delete the aggregate device.

If you have a word clock cable connected, disconnect it even if set to use internal clock (and I assume the Apollo shows it's using internal clock.. always checking that what it says on the front panel matches what you think should be happening).

Keep just carefully checking stuff. Make sure you trash Pro Tools prefs properly. And look for any say video conferencing or similar apps that may be running, possibly in the task bar (but look at startup apps, and all the processes running to identify anything). Double check the session Info shows the sample rate you think it does.
Old 06-24-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Oh darn, just keep looking for stuff and checking what you are doing...

Make sure Pro Tools is not accidently using an aggregate device as the playback engine. e.g. the I/O might all look OK and even work, but actually check what the playback engine is set to each time. Mabe even delete the aggregate device.

If you have a word clock cable connected, disconnect it even if set to use internal clock (and I assume the Apollo shows it's using internal clock.. always checking that what it says on the front panel matches what you think should be happening).

Keep just carefully checking stuff. Make sure you trash Pro Tools prefs properly. And look for any say video conferencing or similar apps that may be running, possibly in the task bar (but look at startup apps, and all the processes running to identify anything). Double check the session Info shows the sample rate you think it does.
Thank you, Darryl, I will keep trying everything, including your precious suggestions. I’ll keep you updated.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:24 PM

Hi, your audio device may be set to another audio device other than Universal Audio Thunderbolt. Mine was sent to Logitech Brio which had a format setting of 44.1K. Attached is a picture of where to look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 7.15.08 PM.jpg (51.6 KB, 0 views)

MacBook Pro Max 64GB ram 2TB SSD, 8TB & 4TB External SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3, Pro Tools Carbon, Apollo 8 Quad Black Lion Mod, UAD Octo, Avid S3, Avid Dock
Old 06-24-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlsize View Post
Hi, your audio device may be set to another audio device other than Universal Audio Thunderbolt. Mine was sent to Logitech Brio which had a format setting of 44.1K. Attached is a picture of where to look.
What? May? You mean Should?

You seem confused, or are using unclear terms, the Audio/MIDI audio dialog is not where you set the "DAW Output"

The macOS default playback, systems sounds, and input devices should normally be set to anything except the interface you are using for Pro Tools. (there are exceptions but normally don't do this). Already mentioned multiple times in this thread.. as ~"make sure no other apps or the systems are using the Apollo".. you do that in the Audio/MIDI setup as well as checking individual Audio Apps if they give more control of selecting input and output devices (like many DAWs do).

The interface Pro Tools will use "for output" (and input) is what you configure in the Playback Engine dialog.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
What? May? You mean Should?

You seem confused, or are using unclear terms, the Audio/MIDI audio dialog is not where you set the "DAW Output"

The macOS default playback, systems sounds, and input devices should normally be set to anything except the interface you are using for Pro Tools. (there are exceptions but normally don't do this). Already mentioned multiple times in this thread.. as ~"make sure no other apps or the systems are using the Apollo".. you do that in the Audio/MIDI setup as well as checking individual Audio Apps if they give more control of selecting input and output devices (like many DAWs do).

The interface Pro Tools will use "for output" (and input) is what you configure in the Playback Engine dialog.
The UA support answered me and asked for a video of me recording and playing back a track, the system profile, and the system report. I will update you if anything changes.
As I told you, apparently no other app is using the Apollo. If it was so, why Ableton Live is not affected and recorded everything perfectly, playing it back at the correct speed?